Rafael Viñoly Architects is seeking a visualization designer to join its team in New York, USA.
World-renowned international architectural studio, Rafael Viñoly Architects is searching for a talented visualization artist to join the firm’s in-house visualization team. The team’s members work closely with the design principal and lead designer to prepare presentations of mixed-use, institutional and civic projects for leading clients worldwide.
We are seeking candidates with strong three-dimensional modeling, rendering and visualization skills that will not only satisfy client demands for each project but will go above and beyond to add a creative edge to our images/animations.
The position will involve work at all stages of the design and production process. Projects at the earliest conceptual stages to projects in advanced design and documentation stages will all need views to be developed and updated with design evolution. Candidates should be able to participate in the following workflow for photorealistic and still renderings, and animations:
- translate three-dimensional designs developed in the Rhinoceros platform to 3D Studio Max
- set up views/animation path
- develop architectural details associated with a particular view such as surface patterns and joints
- populate images with people, landscape, furniture and other props
- post-production manipulation of lighting and overall image colortone, and adjustment according to time of year, time of day, and activities occurring in the space
- generating iterations of the steps above, in response to design principal and design team feedback
- communicate verbally and by email with team members regarding visualization status and schedule
The environment is energetic and team members are committed to the highest level of architectural design and presentation quality. Candidates should be well-organized, self-motivated, flexible and able to work collaboratively within a team; they should be strong communicators regarding each project’s status and progress, and manage time well.
The following attributes are required for all candidates:
- a minimum of two to three years of experience in a professional creative environment
- an understanding of animation, photography and 3D visualization
- an eye for art, lighting, composition and imagery
- proficiency in 3D Studio Max and V-Ray
- excellent Rhino, Studio Max and Photoshop and post-production skills, including photographic integration
- knowledge of animation workflows and video editing software (i.e. After Effects)
- strong technical understanding of composition tools and digital workflows
An education in architecture or related design field is beneficial and strongly recommended.
Fine arts experience including free-hand drawing, perspective sketching and water color painting is also helpful.
This position is for full-time, in-house employment only. No freelancers, independent contractors or consulting companies need apply. Candidates must be legally employable in the US and must be resident in New York City, or willing to relocate on their own within two weeks of accepting an offer.
To be considered, please send your resume along with a 5-10 page PDF portfolio of your own strongest work.Portfolios must contain at least five still renderings at 300dpi in an 11×17-inch format, laid out one image per page, or they will not be considered. Samples must include both exterior and interior views.
Email submissions at email@example.com. Only submissions with ‘visualization designer’ in the subject line will be considered.
Rafael Viñoly Architects was founded in New York in 1983, and has since become known internationally for its architectural and planning projects around the globe. The firm maintains headquarters in New York with branch offices in London, Manchester, and Abu Dhabi, in addition to project offices in Palo Alto and Boston. The unusually diverse work the firm has completed includes award-winning courthouses, museums, performing arts centers, convention centers, athletic facilities, banks, hotels, hospitals, laboratories, recreational venues, residential complexes, and commercial, industrial and educational facilities. Projects range in scale from laboratory casework to large urban commercial and institutional master plans. The firm has also completed several projects involving the restoration and expansion of buildings of significant historical and architectural value. The practice’s atelier design intelligence coupled with the capabilities of a large, multi-disciplinary firm produces appropriate, creative responses to program requirements. Intensive research and informed evaluation lead to a variety of design and technical alternatives. These innovations and refinements often result in buildings that function measurably beyond client expectations.