Riis Retail is seeking a senior concept designer/architect to join its firm in Kolding, Denmark.
Riis Retail is a leading European player within tailored retail solutions and conceptual development, and we are looking for a strong and experienced concept designer to join our team.
We are specialized in the delivery of the entire design value chain – i.e. everything from the early phases of research, ideation and concept development to detailed and technical design, product and furniture development and international implementation of creative spaces. We collaborate with international companies and brands such as Joe & the Juice, Jack & Jones, Vero Moda, Selected Femme/Homme and Johan Bülow Lakrids.
For our newly established department Riis design lab, a creative hub with a primary focus on concept development for new as well as existing clients in RIIS, we are looking for a forward-thinking experienced and highly creative designer, communicator and collaborator, who understands the processes that underlie the development of concept design and is able to manage time and resources efficiently to create, develop and communicate beautiful, cohesive concepts and spaces within given terms. You will be given responsibility for the development of new concepts as well as managerial responsibility of possible other designers in the team. You will work closely with the head of design, and communicate and collaborate with management across the different brands as a natural part of daily life.
About the opportunity
If you enjoy working creatively on a wide variety of concept types including retail, hospitality and various other conceptual space designs, this may be the perfect opportunity for you. We are looking for a dynamic, forward-thinking innovator, who is able to translate visionary, strategic and abstract intentions to tangible designs, and to grasp the different scales of concept design – spanning from the architectural context and overall experience of spaces to product design, detailing and materials – and to secure coherence across the larger and the smaller scale.
You will take part in the design process directly, but you will also oversee and manage the work of other designers, who work on concept development and product design. Your role will span the process from ideation to pre-production set-up and execution, and you will be responsible for moving projects successfully through the processes of ideation, proofing, editing, and approving designs. As an experienced senior designer, you will be directly responsible for the quality and delivery of projects, as well as revenue generated on these projects and the satisfaction of all stakeholders.
Role overview and responsibility:
- work across different concept-forms, including existing concepts, new developments, product design, as well as special events and exhibition design
- responsible for concept development from ideation through pre-production set-up to the execution phase across multiple segments including retail, hospitality, and other related special design
- collaborate with and refer to the head of design at Riis on adherence to the overall visions and intentions, as well as the strategic and creative direction for projects
- collaborate with brand managers in other departments to support them in developing the aesthetic, visual and physical identity of our current customers
- gather customer feedback and conduct sure testing to validate design decisions
- present and communicate concepts and creative solutions with clarity, passion and ease and to a variety of stakeholders
- collaborate with cross-functional brand partners to ensure brand and consumer focus
- set creative and assignment-related priorities for the team
- lead the execution of creative strategies to ensure end-to-end creative excellence
Concept and product:
- develop strong overall conceptual directions for new concepts, based on thorough analysis of client’s brand, strategy, market, customers etc, insights into relevant macro and micro trends as well as excellent, personal aesthetic ability
- evaluate design ideas based on factors such as adherence to the overall vision, appearance, materials engineering, budget, price, cost, production, and market characteristics
- develop conceptual and innovative product ideas from sources such as research, materials, manufacturers and current product line, trending articles etc
- translate product concepts into illustrative, hand-drawn design mockups, create prototypes for presentation and selection for quote and production
- ensure our work is launched effectively in all relations
- continuously evaluate trends in comparable concepts and products
- continuously look for new opportunities to introduce new product concepts/categories
- translate conceptual ideas into illustrative drawings for product concepts
- create final presentation for delivery to colleagues and/or product vendors
Our ideal candidate:
- a degree from an accredited school of architecture, design, interior design or interior architecture
- five plus years of design experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, in the retail, hospitality or office design industry
- strong portfolio that demonstrates a variety of design collateral for primarily conceptual but also product design
- advanced ArchiCAD, AutoCAD Illustrator and Photoshop and knowledge of 3D rendering
- proven experience in developing successful design pitches, workshops and concepts
- proven ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and to effectively contribute to all phases of design, programming through construction administration
- ability to translate insights into customer needs, requirements and ideas, into concepts that serve their purpose
- proven organisational and time management skills
- strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of various organisations
- ability to work independently, manage goals and deadlines
- detail-oriented, team player, self-starter and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- occasional travel including international required 30 days per year
For more information
Please contact: RIIS head of design Mette Rødtnes, mobile +45 2399 5900 or via email.
To apply for the position, you must submit your application, CV and portfolio, using the ‘apply’ link below.
We process the incoming applications continuously.
Start time: by appointment