Seymourpowell is seeking a senior level CMF strategist for maternity cover to join its team in London.
What we do
Seymourpowell help companies plan and create transformative product and brand experiences that people love. Our Foresight team is a small and specialist unit within Seymourpowell, comprised of world class forecasters, strategists, and researchers who create the conditions for design and innovation to thrive. We work in close collaboration with the different design specialisms we have in house to ensure we deliver success.
We are lucky to work with many of the world’s best loved brands and innovative start-ups. From space ships to sex toys we cover pretty much every category you can dream of.
What we believe
We believe that great design makes things better for people, business and the world.
What we are looking for
We’re on the hunt for exceptional talent to join our team for a fixed-term maternity cover. We’re looking for someone who has the ability to uncover emerging trends and influences and transform these into stand-out and strategically resonant colour, material and finish directions that elicit desire amongst consumers and our clients.
Exploring new possibilities that push us beyond our comfort zone is what we strive for. That’s where you come in, we’re looking for talent that will bring new views and opinions on the emergent possibilities of materials and how their application can transform the brands, products, services and experiences we engage with every day.
- stay ahead of the curve with social trends and shifts and demonstrate fluency in the latest codes of visual and design culture. You’re adept at identifying the early signals, filtering and framing the most relevant trends to create compelling CMF strategies
- be capable of creating irresistible colour palettes that are on-trend and brand relevant
- build CMF strategies that translate into realistic applications and executions for manufacture
- contribute to and maintain Seymourpowell’s material and sensorial library, regularly updating it with cutting-edge and exciting new material, colour and finish samples so we know where and how to best innovate through CMF
- analyse research findings to identify potent insights that provide directional inspiration to our creative teams, helping elevate the quality of our ideas and designs
- crystallise insights into powerful presentations for our clients
- grow relationships with material manufacturers ensuring they keep us up-to-date with their latest developments so we stay ahead of industry shifts
- take an active role in maintaining Seymourpowell’s internal trend bank. Identifying new trends and capturing them in an easy to digest format
- be an ambassador for CMF, increasing our internal team’s understanding of the qualities and creative possibilities of materials
- find creative, effective and efficient ways to approach each project, identifying new perspectives on the challenge that will give our clients something fresh
- take an active role in new business. Be confident contributing to and writing client winning proposals
- lead projects
You are a Seymourpowell CMF Strategist if…
You work with passion
Seymourpowell’s team is built from a broad range of skills and personalities. What unites our diversity is our passion for mastering our craft and delivering excellence.
You have a love for design
We are looking for someone with a deep understanding of design. You should have a degree that is relevant to a design and innovation company (for example in product, transport, furniture, or fashion) and extensive experience with CMF research and application.
You are culturally keyed in
You have a good understanding of trends and are able to quickly get to grips with the concepts and language of new subject areas. You enjoy exploring how trends will affect colour and materials, and know how to use them to inspire future ready CMF directions.
You are an instigator
You start things and work proactively taking the initiative in a resourceful way. When you don’t know the answer, you work hard to figure it out.
You are original
You bring new perspectives to challenges and are able to inspire your team mates with fresh perspectives. You like to push beyond the current debate and imagine what will come next.
You are persuasive
You’re a natural story teller. You have an eye for beauty and a way with words. You are comfortable presenting as part of a team and like to explore new mediums.
You know your tools
You are familiar with a broad range of research and analytical tools (such as expert interviews or user research) and you know how and when to apply them to validate your CMF directions.
You are meticulously concise
You sweat the small stuff, you are considered and opinionated. You know how to gather, analyse and prioritise information in a design friendly way.
You take a critical approach
Whilst an optimist at heart, you use critical thinking skills to stress-test your work against your client’s business priorities.
You are solution focussed
You have strong analytical skills. You like problem solving and are able to bring well-informed approaches to our client’s business challenges.
You can make a mean cup of tea
Collaboration makes you tick and you believe in the adage that two heads are better than one. You love learning from and with your team mates.
Applying for the role
The role available will be maternity cover, for a fixed period of 8 to 12 months, ideally starting mid-November/early-December 2020.
Please ensure you’re eligible to work in the UK and available from our preferred start date above.
If you like the sound of the role and want to apply please click the ‘apply’ button below and send:
- your CV – detailing your recent experience, achievements and skills
- your portfolio – a short PDF or weblink demonstrating your approach and work – ideally demonstrating articulations across trends, visual language and CMF palettes
- a cover letter – a short letter explaining what drives your passion for CMF and why you think you’ll be a good match for Seymourpowell
Only applications that include all of the above will be considered for interview, which we hope to conduct early to mid-October. We’re sorry but due to the volume of responses we receive it is only possible for us to respond to successful applicants.