Simpson Studio is looking for an operations and studio manager to join its team in London.
Simpson Studio is an award-winning British Design House, with a multidisciplinary team of architects, designers and cabinet makers, creating better space through the complete co-ordination of architecture, interiors, furniture and product design.
With a base in both London and Edinburgh, the studio works on residential and commercial high-end projects across the UK. The studio oversees all design elements in-house, making for a particularly joined up process which delivers beautiful results. The studio also has its own retail line which launched last year and is currently working on its first in-house development project.
As the studio heads towards its tenth year, with big plans for the future, it is now looking for an experienced operations manager capable of running the administrative functions of the business and studio, while supporting the whole team with the continued business growth and success.
The ideal candidate will have previous administrative and project management experience, demonstrate a proactive attitude and have a natural interest in design and architecture. The candidate should be hands-on, flexible and reliable with the ability to multi-task and prioritise a varied workload. Strong time management, organisational, and interpersonal skills are essential.
The role will include:
- financial management, filing, basic bookkeeping, invoicing, processing payroll and expenses, and updating cashflow forecasts
- liaising with the studio accountants and inputting on the monthly management meetings
- managing studio budgets, grants, and funding
- drafting studio documents and contracts
- coordinating studio insurance, and compliance checks
- maintaining IT systems, software, and equipment
- managing and improving practice systems, including timesheets, templates, work scheduling, checklists, and protocols, and maintaining databases
- managing recruitment, student placement, new starters, and leavers
- providing support to the team, and co-ordinating staff reviews and training
- manage our CPD programme
- managing office facilities, equipment, and supplies
- running the weekly team meeting
- answer incoming calls and managing the studio diary
- welcoming clients and guests, and offering refreshments
- ensuring the office runs smoothly and is maintained to a high standard
Skills and experience:
- previous experience in a similar role
- organised, pro-active and self-motivated
- has the ability to prioritise, problem solve and act on initiative
- excellent record keeping and communication
- an interest in architecture and design
- has excellent spoken and written English
- is the type of person who gets involved
Software skills required:
- confident on Mac computers
- Microsoft Office and Excel
- Adobe Creative Suite
- digital accounting software
Benefits and opportunity
This is an exciting position, and an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to develop the role into something exceptional. This position provides the opportunity to play a pivotal role in the studio going forwards, being a key part of the management team, able to input on the growth and direction of the studio going forwards. You will be joining a passionate and driven team, working alongside creative and talented people. Where we cultivate a supportive and friendly work culture, and encourage employees at all levels to be a strong team player.
The position offers a competitive starting salary (based on levels of qualification, experience, and ability), together with a workplace pension, private healthcare, and bonus scheme.
Working from home – the position will require three to four days working from the office with the ability for the remaining days to be worked remotely.
Flexible working – we operate flexible working hours, with an 8 hour day which can be worked between the hours of 7am and 7pm, with core hours between 10am and 4pm. The position is advertised as full time, although the studio is happy to consider applicants with a preference or requirement for a part time role.
- private health insurance – we offer all employees private healthcare
- referral bonus – we offer all employees a percentage of all successful project referrals
- end of year bonus – available based on performance
- professional membership – one subscription per employee per year
- development and training – funded every quarter
- events and socials – regular events and socials are organised throughout the year