Senior project manager
at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill is seeking a senior project manager to join its team in London.
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent, and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a project manager for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
Success at SOM means:
- ideas: we believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the ﬁrm
- knowledge: we believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge
- product: we strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work
- individual: we value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the ﬁrm
- team: we value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential
- firm: we have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work
- leads the architectural project team through close collaboration with SOM Partners project leadership to achieve design, technical and financial success
- prepares, with leadership input, quality agreements with clients including letters of intent, memoranda of understanding, and professional service agreements. Executes additional service agreements and gains authorisation by phase
- collaborates with partners and senior team to prepare, issue, and manage compliance plans to align project goals including budget, deliverables and schedule. Gains agreement with the senior team for labor allocation. Chairs weekly team meetings to address variances from the project plan
- administers internal control procedures with project accountant including billing, collections, percent complete, expense management, and year-end activities. Analyses project reports and proactively manages the profitability of a project
- participates actively in project design and technical discussions and decision making
- communicates actively through chairing weekly meetings, issuing meeting minutes, accurate project record keeping and sharing project information and correspondence
- assists in managing the owner/client relationship and expectations to allow SOM and team to work effectively, efficiently and collaboratively
- participated in new business and marketing efforts including responses to marketing requests and maintenance of ﬁrm relationships
- initiates, monitors and maintains project schedule and work plan including schedule of meetings and presentations
- schedules and leads internal team weekly project meetings; develops the meeting agenda and project status update
- initiates, monitors and maintains project plan and financial performance of project
- initiates and maintains SOM-client services agreement, SOM sub-consultant agreements and requests for additional services
- monitors scope for contract compliance and potential additional services
- actively engages in project risk management through close collaboration with SOM partners and legal group
- manages time and workload of own work efforts and those of others to meet project task deadlines and commitments, with occasional interaction and direction from team leaders while guiding and teaching less experienced staff
- inspires and leads others by example, participates in staff mentoring and training, clearly defines team member expectations and responsibilities, empowers others, and delegates where appropriate based on team members’ recognised abilities and potential
- directly supervises staff and is committed to direct reports’ professional development
- develops and engages in talent strategy to find specialists, leaders, and future professionals for the ﬁrm through resume review and interviews
- in collaboration with team members, develops a clear and consistent work plan to achieve the project budget, deliverables, and schedule
- actively engages in internal and external professional development opportunities
- contributes to the implementation of sustainable strategies in all project assignments and the associated development of staff knowledge
- contributes to the development of standards, policies, and procedures
- protects SOM from financial and legal risk
- professional degree in architecture
- professional licensure process is close to completion; LEED accreditation preferred
- minimum six years of experience or equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities
- demonstrated ability to successfully lead project teams and manage project schedule, budget and program
- strong verbal and written communication skills
- general understanding of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED or other green building rating systems
- understands and is conversant in Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, parametric and rendering software, and other graphic software
- proficiency in Microsoft Oﬃce, Smartsheets, Adobe Suite and Google Workspace
- familiarity with Deltek Vision, Salesforce
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Visit this page to learn more about SOM’s employment policy and how to apply offline here.
For more about SOM see our website.
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (architecture, interiors, planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your resume or CV.