Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) is looking for an interior practice leader to join its team in Los Angeles, USA.
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) is a leading international multi-disciplinary practice consistently recognized and awarded at the highest levels for design excellence and innovation. The firm leverages its international expertise and in-depth knowledge of local markets through a network of diverse global design studios focused on commercial, education, cultural, health and science, hospitality and civic projects. Our work encompasses interior design, architecture, building engineering, sustainable design, planning and industrial design. Given the firm’s strategic growth, we are seeking an interiors leader to play a key role in the Los Angeles office.
As part of a collaborative global design practice, the LA interiors leader will work closely with the Los Angeles leadership team and the firm-wide interiors leadership team, to develop an approach that is responsive to the market place and within the firm’s core values. We are seeking a visionary and creative leader, who has a deep understanding of the profession, high standards of design excellence and innovation and an entrepreneurial approach to the practice of interior design.
You will have the opportunity to develop the firm’s market outreach and team to support stand-alone Interiors projects, as well as some of the most significant integrated design projects of our time.
Leadership and culture:
- support the firm’s overall practice and culture
- develop an Interiors practice that is regarded as innovative and market leading by peers and clients
- demonstrate exemplary leadership
- provide coaching and mentoring to staff
- model a professional practice manner that is client-centric and results oriented
- set benchmarks and monitor the growth of the practice
- maintain effective relationships between firm leadership, key staff and clients
- establish relationships with key consultants, agencies and industry organizations
- establish working relationships with firm support areas – marketing, accounting, HR, IT, legal, etc
Business development, marketing and communication:
- direct business development activities, including market research, creating new business development strategies and materials
- actively participate in new business development activities
- guide and monitor the business development activities of practice teams to ensure effective results
- oversee client relationship development
- operations and team management
- develop and maintain a plan to support the interiors practice in Los Angeles
- work with both Los Angeles and firm-wide interiors leadership teams to achieve budgeted profits and other financial criteria in support of firm financial goals
- evaluate the results of overall operations regularly and systematically and report them to the interiors and Los Angeles leadership team
- delegate activities, responsibilities, and authority to support staff and team members as necessary
- work with the Los Angeles leadership team to mentor, develop and maintain qualified personnel in all positions
- provide or arrange for orientation and ongoing training for staff members
- support the development and implementation of interiors procedures that promote communication and appropriate information flow
- serves as a role model of good communication in all areas of responsibility
- substantial, progressively responsible experience in leading interior design or architecture practices
- ten plus years’ of studio or practice leadership experience with a focus on workplace, hospitality, and/or residential market sectors
- demonstrated success in the development of new client relationships and building market share
Four years’ accredited architectural or interior design degree. Completion of five or six years’ architectural or dual degree program preferred.
Architectural registration and/or NCIDQ professional accreditation.
LEED certification preferred.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Visit this page to learn more about SOM’s employment policy and how to apply offline.
For more about SOM visit our website.
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (architecture, interiors, planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum of 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.