Steelcase is looking for a principal designer to join its team in Munich, Germany.
Design at Steelcase leverages user research and unique insights to develop compelling solutions, unlocking human promise wherever work happens. For our design team at the Learning and Innovation Center in Munich, we are looking for an experienced principal level industrial designer passionate about furniture, technology and the future of work.
The Munich LINC is a key node for our global furniture design and cross-functional development team. Frequent collaboration across geographies and time zones means we require excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as an open mind. We iterate fast and our process is rooted in prototyping and clearly framing ideas to enable desirable user experiences.
We are looking for designers, thinkers and makers with an entrepreneurial attitude and a broad aesthetic sensibility, stretching from the scale of architecture to the intimate space of wearables. We appreciate diversity and are curious about how your unique personal interests will enrich our global community.
Design thinking, understanding and articulating user insights, communicating and visualizing your thinking process, fast iterative prototyping, 3D modelling and visualisation, collaboration across time zones and cultures, storytelling and concept presentations, driving and leading projects forward, helping others to become better.
- have a strong portfolio demonstrating a clear design process and a variety of approaches to problem-solving
- are highly empathetic, able to research design problems and synthesise insights as part of cross-functional teams
- present design direction in clear and compelling frameworks, also to non-designers
- have an intuitive sense of complex systems and an eye for detail
- are a hands-on thinker, maker and storyteller, eager to experiment and able to build physical and digital prototypes
- are comfortable expressing your point of view in a highly collaborative environment and also build on other ideas while they iterate on yours
- are very curious and constantly feeding your intellectual and visual curiosities
- work quickly and effectively through concept explorations
- are also a nice person
- willing to travel in the region and internationally
- bachelor’s degree or higher in industrial/product design
- eight-plus years’ hands-on industrial design and product development experience
- experience leading designers and design in small teams
- experience designing furniture and spaces for people
- proven ability to work in all phases of product development
- knowledge of materials, manufacturing and latest technologies
- fluent in English and at least one other language
- hands-on prototyping experience, analogue and digital