Studio INI is seeking a full-time design engineer to join its team in London.
Location: London with travel
Category: design engineer, designer, engineer
Salary: competitive and dependent on experience
Start date: immediately
Studio INI is looking for a creative designer/engineer to join its growing studio in central London. Working at the forefront of experimental design methodologies and cutting edge manufacturing technologies, Studio INI explores the intersection of digital design’s impact and influence on the material world through ambitious and exciting large-scale interactive installations.
Successful candidates will contribute to the conceptualisation, realisation and implementation of its upcoming large-scale design projects and installations in London and across the globe. Ideal candidates will need to be bold and fast learners with the ability to work in a highly creative and technical capacity. They will be naturally curious and keen to work with both new technologies and traditional artisan crafts, jumping from the computer to the workshop with ease.
We are currently working on an ambitious and exciting large-scale, outdoor, interactive installation sponsored by BMW which will be on display in New York, from May till September 2019. We are looking to expand our team for the requirements of the New York project and our full pipeline of international projects that may also include Venice Art Biennale for this year. Studio INI is represented by FuturePace.
Previous works and installations include:
- London Design Biennale, Somerset House Central Courtyard, 2018 – London, UK
- Victoria & Albert Museum (V&A), London Design Festival, 2017 – London, UK
- Triennale di Milano, Milan Design week, Lexus Pavilion, 2017 – Milan, Italy
- Kochi – Muziris Biennale, MAP Project, Cochin, India, 2018–2019
- Ithra Centre, King Abdulaziz Centre for World Culture, 2018 – Dammam, Saudi Arabia
- Kolkata Centre for Creativity, Emami Art, 2018– Kolkata, India
- RobArch, 2018 – Zurich, Germany
- MIT Media Lab, Members week, 2016 – Boston, US
- Martinos Art, 2018 – Athens, Greece
More information can be found on our website.
- to actively contribute in the conceptual, industrial and interaction design for upcoming NY project and upcoming design concepts
- to lead mechanical engineering and design for manufacture for upcoming NY project and upcoming design concepts
- to maintain a very hands-on approach to all stages of design, from conceptual prototyping up to extensive design for manufacture
- ability to prioritise work tasks and work confidently and independently
- to be able to effectively communicate with different project stakeholders and managing manufacturers, helping encourage them to work more experimentally, whilst maintaining strong relationships and high quality standards
- to project manage installations and de-installations of current and past projects
- a strong undergraduate or masters in general, mechanical or design engineering or product or industrial design is essential. Depending on portfolio we encourage self taught engineers as well
- an additional masters in any discipline of design or innovation is a bonus
- prior experience of working in a project-based environment, understanding of project management principles in design/engineering projects
- knowledge of health and safety for interactive installations would be advantageous
Design for fabrication, mechanism design, product design specification, sourcing engineering components.
Physical and rapid prototyping
Confident making with metal, polymers, woods, textiles (ability to work/confident to learn working with lathe, milling machine, drill press, band saw, table saw and 3D printers is essential)
Design and innovation
Concept sketching, design thinking, interaction prototypes.
Adobe Suite (AI, ID, PS), 3D engineering CAD (SolidWorks, Inventor or Fusion 360 are preferred, but ability to adapt to new software is also permissible).
Desirable software (bonus)
C4D (or other rendering tool ), Rhino and Grasshopper, object oriented code and embedded firmware (C++, JS and Arduino).
All candidates must be fluent in English. The ability to speak Greek is a bonus as the studio is split between London and Athens.
- access to Somerset House Studios and Makerversity network, 24/7 working space and their workshops
- access to Somerset House and special discounts forSomerset House members
- opportunities for research and to develop new skills
- be part of a small but ambitious and growing design studio, with opportunities to contribute to core design process and philosophy
- we welcome the creative ideas of our colleagues to drive future projects and research directions
- possibility of traveling abroad across the globe to work on various projects
If you feel that you fit the bill and you have the right to work in the UK, please get in touch using the ‘apply’ link below.
- if sending a website, please guide us through the projects
- cover letter
- briefly and clearly explaining how your practice would fit with this role
- date of availability
Positions are open to an immediate start.
Applications closing date: 18 February 2019.
Successful applicants will be contacted within a week of the application deadline to arrange an interview.