Surface Matter is hiring a junior projects/sales assistant to join its team in London.
Surface Matter work with some of the most exciting materials out there – from sheets made of recycled paper to colourful panels that rethink plastic waste. We work with creatives to push the boundaries of design and help makers bring materials to life, for good. Our inspiring high-end surface materials have sustainable qualities and can be used in everything from retail and office spaces to kitchens or skate parks.
We are looking for someone who is driven and resourceful to support sales of our surface materials and carry out the business activities that keep our studio running smoothly. Working from our materials studio in London Fields, as junior projects/sales assistant you will answer enquiries and work through projects, supporting our team and our clients by updating information, sending out samples, sharing case studies and pricing information, discussing design criteria and material suitability and bringing in technical support where needed.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to learn solution-based selling through shadowing on projects to hone communication skills, build relationships and promote innovative products in a creative industry. As you grow and develop, you’ll work on larger and more challenging architecture and design projects.
- answering enquiries in studio visits, phone and email – qualifying and assigning leads, setting up meetings and offering information, samples and support
- updating our system to make sure project details are accurate + suitably supported
- identifying opportunities, suggesting solutions and escalating issues where needed
- staying in touch with material, architecture and design news
- collaboratively following up on completed projects to organise imagery and information that feeds into case studies, press releases, web and social posts
- processing orders from initial enquiry through to sales, delivery and aftercare
- representing Surface Matter at trade fairs/events/client meetings
- arranging and delivering presentations, meetings and events
- sharing information and setting expectations including material characteristics, pricing, fabrication, lead times and availability
- identifying long term value and nurturing relationships
- helping keep the studio organised and full of energy – greeting visitors, offering help and refreshments
- organising and labelling samples, packaging and office supplies
- updating inventory, price lists and product descriptions
- working with the team to reduce waste
- helping to achieve and improve our social, environmental and brand strategies
Who we’re looking for:
- great communication skills – you like communicating with people, asking questions, listening, learning and figuring out the next best steps
- driven – you want to get things done, grow and adapt
- highly organised – you like setting and achieving your own goals and priorities to help you deliver projects
- interested – you notice detail and you care about quality
- you want to learn how things are made, what materials can do and appreciate design, materials and making
What we can offer:
- full time, permanent position
- £23,500 to£26,000 salary and performance bonus, cycle and tech schemes and pension
- 22 plus 8 days annual leave, increasing up to 25 and 8 with length of service, plus your birthday off
- professional development reviews and extensive ongoing training and learning
- open plan, inspiring studio with sit-stand desks and healthy snacks and refreshments to keep you going
- team lunches and events
- an opportunity to learn about materials and manufacturing, visit interiors and see objects from projects you’ve worked on
Get in touch
We believe in working with good people, thinking long term and continuously striving to do better. We want everyone in our team to feel valued and to grow with us – regardless of race, religion, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability or social, financial, cultural or educational background. Joining our small team in a varied and evolving role means there are always interesting projects to get involved in to help us move forward together while achieving your goals.
If this sounds like the job for you apply with your CV on Stryve.