Surface Matter is looking for a specification sales manager to join its team in London.
Surface Matter finds interesting materials made by ambitious manufacturers. We house them and carefully distribute the very best to our customers. We help designers and architects select the right processes with every phase of a project in mind – from the design stages and fit-out to the rip out and beyond – so reuse or recycling is easier when the time comes. We’re always finding and developing better ways to help complete the circle and we’re creating a community to get more people involved to help keep our materials valuable forever.
About specification sales manager
We’re looking for someone tenacious and resilient to join our growing team. The specification sales manager provides the buzz and energy that drives specifications and develops meaningful relationships. Working with a solution-based approach that prioritises the suitability, efficiency and profitability of the materials we work with, you’ll consult with clients, proposing and implementing well thought-out solutions for complex projects. The specification sales manager asks the right questions to understand criteria, imaginatively and regularly re-engaging to reignite inspiration and interest to create long-term business.
As the main project person, working from our studio in London Fields, meeting with clients in London and beyond, you’ll lead the sales team, shaping the way we work to build strong ties with designers and makers. Using your excellent communication and leadership skills, you’re there for others in the team to look up to, working collaboratively and setting the example. Actively guiding and coaching the sales team, you’re always finding ways to manage projects better. This is the perfect opportunity for a results-driven, strategic thinker and communicator who is hungry to lead, work collaboratively, promote great products without pushing them and improve our impact.
- creating opportunities, engaging clients and supporting projects with quality communication, presentations, samples and technical information
- discussing criteria-led processes with architects, designers and contractors to make sure our materials are used in the right way, suggesting solutions to develop the best long-term outcome
- promptly and attentively following up, finding opportunities for efficiency, cross/upselling
- delivering material sessions, events and CPDs (40 per year) strategically planned to enhance operations, attendance, engagement and networking/relationship potential
- reporting sales and successful activities – highlighting any adopted solutions like stock alternatives, cutting solutions, reuse/recycling and areas for improvement
- producing quotes, processing orders and making sure related activities are in hand and proactively communicated with realistic expectations
- vetting sponsorship/discount requests, gauging suitability and creating mutually beneficial collaborations
- cultivating relationships, making useful connections, touching base throughout and across projects to make the continued specification of our solutions more likely
- growing our takeback community – visiting and checking in to understand and optimise forward plans, growth potential and obstacles
- proactively troubleshooting issues within a clear kept timeline
- identifying opportunities and suggesting solutions, only escalating as needed with an efficient, company focused solution in-mind
- attending site meetings to make sure our message is clear and consistent for all stakeholders
- providing aftersales support, arranging and sharing imagery and info to help develop new projects and better relationships
- collaborate across the business – empowering growth, making sure relationships are fully supported and projects are well managed across and developed as a whole
- overcoming obstacles, drawing upon experience and awareness, picking up on trends, discussing strategies, priorities and areas for action
- giving insights, feedback and reporting on new materials, trends and market changes to drive continuous improvement
- keeping an overview of the pipeline, expertly managing and prioritising to make sure the most important activities receive the right level of attention at the right times
- leading and mentoring the sales team – critiquing methods, sharing advice and coaching successful strategies
- helping achieve and grow our social, environmental and business impact
Who we’re looking for:
- a tactful communicator, you’re good at digesting and relaying complex information to people from different cultures and industries
- someone who isn’t afraid to pick up the phone, lead a team, inspire an audience, follow up on progress or address an issue
- you see problems as opportunities and you like identifying critical paths, documenting processes and implementing solutions
- you care about making the most of any situation and want to develop yourself and others
- commercial sales experience, even better if it’s been in the architecture and design or construction industry
- a history of leading, inspiring, training and elevating people
- technical appreciation, you crave to know how things are made and what they can do
- you are always on the look out for ways to improve and you’re excited to extend this to help improve our impact and achieve our social, environmental and team goals
We’re all about people and have high standards on the kinds of people we work with and how we treat them in return. We’ve built industry wide connections on shared values. We want everyone in our team to feel good and to grow with us – regardless of race, religion, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability or social, financial, cultural or educational background. Joining our small team in a varied and evolving role means there are always interesting projects to get involved in to move forward together and achieve your goals.
If this sounds like the place for you, please click here and apply on Stryve with your CV and a short note about why you think you’d make a great fit – your journey, the skills you’re looking to grow and why you like the idea of working with us.