The Calvert Journal is hiring a lead designer to join its team in London.
Reporting to: editor-in-chief
Salary: £34,000 – £38,000 depending on experience
Contract: permanent, with six months probation period
We are looking for a lead designer for a permanent position at The Calvert Journal, a thriving online magazine focused on the culture and creativity of modern Russia, eastern Europe, the Caucasus and central Asia.
The company is based within Calvert 22 Foundation, a leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the contemporary art and culture of Russia and eastern Europe.
The lead designer will enhance our brand, make our media platforms exciting and user-friendly, and be able to transform content ideas into multimedia experiences.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- work within the Calvert 22 Foundation brand guidelines to create layouts for The Calvert Journal and other platforms that reinforce the organisation’s style and voice through visual touchpoints
- take the lead on establishing the look and feel of various interfaces, including web and mobile
- design logos, icons and infographics
- work with the Journal team to visualise content
- source and produce images and video footage
- ensure brand cohesion across all design projects
- act as line manager for design team/web including consultants
- inspiring, with a strong sense of visual aesthetics and the ability to formulate effective concepts
- someone who understands editorial and can work to tight deadlines
- a multitasker, managing timelines and expectations without compromising quality
- good team player and communicator with the ability to effectively take direction as well as delegate work
Skills, experience and qualifications required:
- five+ years experience with transitions, animation, motion design and dynamic interaction, with a solid foundation in typography, layout and design
- excellent visual, written and verbal communication skills, along with presentation and negotiation skills
- up to date with the latest technologies, best practices and industry trends
- solid proficiency with Adobe Design Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign), InVision and Sketch
- setup and configuration of build tools such as Webpack, Gulp & Bower
- strong understanding of editorial processes and design issues related to the production of a regularly updated online publication
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a covering letter (maximum one page) detailing your suitability using the ‘apply’ link below.
Please state the position you are applying for and where you heard about the vacancy. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.