TYR Sport is looking for an industrial designer — swim hard goods to join its team in Long Island, New York.
Bring your design innovation to products used by some of the world’s most accomplished professional athletes! TYR Sport Inc., the leading manufacturer of competitive swim and triathlon gear, is looking to add an experienced and hands-on industrial designer to our hard goods design team.
As the designer of swim hard goods your responsibility includes designing for all accessory categories including swim caps, swimming goggles, equipment bags, and training equipment for swimmers. The designer works to create product that is innovative and bold, that communicates an engaging story, and provides consumers with a positive experience.
Education and experience:
- bachelors, industrial design
- five+ years of professional experience with demonstrable results — Sorry, this position is not for recent graduates
- exhibit continual design Innovation and ideation for swimming industry
- ability to manage original designs from concept to final production
- professional knowledge and experience designing plastic, fabric and other materials, as well as a full understanding of the manufacturing process
- proficient in Solidworks, Adobe Suite, and Microsoft Office
- experience with and knowledge of rapid prototyping
- excellent interpersonal skills and business acumen
- superior follow-through and detail orientation
- energetic and open mind to creating innovative product for today’s professional athletes
- being a swimmer and having knowledge of the swim community is a plus
- Maya and Rhino 3D programs a plus
- conceptualise new and innovative product ideas and improve existing products for the entire breadth of the eyewear and accessories line
- solve technical difficulties in concept, prototyping, 3D creation and manufacturing samples
- advocate on behalf of new product throughout the entire design and production process from early stage concept illustration to sample creation and mass production
- coordinate with the sports promotions department, sponsored athletes, coaches and the sales team to solicit feedback for product testing and marketplace optimisation
- maintain intimate knowledge of marketplace trends, industry standards, legal compliance, and brand objectives
- develop and maximise relationships with factories for product sampling and material capabilities
- meet production deadlines and manage approval process, including first line sample approvals
At TYR, we’re more than a community, we’re a team–and our team loves a good perk. In addition to convenient LIRR shuttle service to and from the Farmingdale train station, TYR Sport offers competitive compensation, medical and dental benefits and a matching 401k plan.
Our collaborative work atmosphere provides an innovative environment for professional growth and is teeming with the best combination of both athletic and creative talent. Companywide we promote a neat, yet relaxed dress code. Not only does every employee receive a yearly apparel voucher, but we also score discounts on all TYR products. What can we say… we love to sport our gear both in and out of the office!
As a brand we are dedicated to helping people lead healthy and active lives, and our employees are no exception. At TYR we each enjoy earned paid time off, as well as summer Fridays! In order to remain “Always in Front” we believe in the importance of proper work life balance.
Named for TYR, the Norse god of warriors, our company is committed to cultivating a culture of greatness, both in and out of the water. Through vision, pursuit and American ingenuity, we have become a brand synonymous with the athlete.
Like all athletes we work with an intense spirit of competition, but unlike the others, we refuse to stop there. From the planning stages to the production floor, everything we do revolves around synthesizing creativity, experience and sheer will power. For us, engineering the fastest, most advanced performance products is more than just a goal, it’s a requirement.
At TYR, we’re always in front.
Founded in Huntington Beach, CA by swimwear designer Joseph DiLorenzo — current owner and 1972 Olympic Bronze Medalist Steve Furniss, TYR Sport was established in 1985 to provide the competitive swim market with vibrant, performance-driven prints. Since its inception three decades ago, TYR has grown to exist as one of the world’s most recognizable swimming and triathlon brands.
With global distributors and an international following, TYR remains dedicated to building the industry’s most durable, uniquely designed swimsuits, cutting edge equipment and innovative caps and goggles. On a relentless path to push the limits of sportswear we not only reimagine technologies for enhanced competitive performance, but also embrace lifestyle markets to accommodate athletes and water enthusiasts at every level.
This position is based in Farmingdale, NY, on Long Island.
Please apply with your resume, portfolio, cover letter and required pay rate.
This position is only available to applicants based in the United States
Mid-weight interior designer
at Bento Box
at Factory Fifteen