Tyréns UK is looking for an associate director of masterplanning and urban design to join its team in London.
Tyréns UK is an interdisciplinary urbanism, placemaking, mobility and smart cities consultancy. We specialise in the delivery of high-quality solutions that promote sustainable development, urbanism and enhance connectivity.
Role and responsibilities
The associate director role involves leading and devising masterplanning and urban design solutions responding to a wide range of projects including:
- greenfields and brownfields masterplanning
- private developments
- town centre/CBD regeneration strategies
- transport corridor regeneration plans
- government initiated planning projects
- public-private infrastructure led projects
- viability and funding assessments and strategies
- resilience strategies
- city-wide strategic development plans
- regeneration strategies
- public realm schemes
- masterplans in other sectors such as aviation or sports
- design guidelines and codes
We are looking for an experienced, strategically-minded and results-driven practitioner, with a combination of UK and international experience managing and developing complex masterplanning and urban design solutions across a range of scales. The associate director should have a clear commitment to an integrated design philosophy and be capable of bringing together a broad range of specialist contributors in an innovative and efficient manner across the business and its disciplines. They should be able to communicate complex design concepts simply and efficiently to UK and multi-national clients and be able to manage multiple projects and staff.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to lead client-facing engagement for a range of different clients, including private developers, institutional customers and public sector bodies. The associate director should be capable of winning and delivering work (with guidance based on level of experience), from client development through bid strategy and execution, to project delivery and completion. In addition to design core skills, analytical capability and technical familiarity with major infrastructure projects, transport oriented development, landscape architecture, environmental planning and sustainability, transport planning, the real estate market, development policy, and current industry trends will be beneficial.
As a senior member of staff, the responsibilities shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following:
- support business development for the masterplanning and urban design portfolio and broaden the client base
- ability to advise, manage and agree contracts with clients, manage programmes and deliverables
- ability to manage a team and effectively plan resource
- produce high quality bids and successful tender presentations
- interface with wider businesses within the group to ensure submissions maximise potential opportunities to offer full delivery of available services
- exercising financial control over projects by preparing project budgets, monitoring costs and delivering projects within set budgets
- acting as a key client interface at a technical project level
- attendance at design team meetings with clients, other design collaborators and communicate design ideas through sketches, models and presentations
- provide holistic design solutions to clients
- with the support of the managing director, evaluate project challenges faced by the business and take action to mitigate risks and develop opportunities.
- participate in forums to assist in the development of new ideas/innovation to promote and improve the company design reputation
- promoting and developing inter-disciplinary working to maximise opportunity
- overall project management including program and resource monitoring, quality control, technical management and delivery
- reporting on a regular basis to the senior management team, ensuring accurate and timely reports of key project deliverables
- managing projects effectively and efficiently
- ensure strong team communication to facilitate exchanges of information and knowledge across the wider practice
- Comply with responsibilities as defined in the group’s health, safety and environment policy and ensure compliance with the same throughout the team
- complying with all aspects of Tyréns’ UK quality management systems/procedures
- preparation and management of project execution plans
- preparation and management of project inception documents
- representing the business, including related disciplines, at external meetings
- participation in technical reviews of projects where required
- the ability to develop a team based on its individual strengths
- Willingness and ability to be proactive in securing new work as part of the team and individually
- past experience as project director or project manager of complex masterplaning and urban design projects
- proven skills in winning work and developing client relationships
- excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- exceptional in written and spoken English and have good report writing abilities
- ability to author reports, designs and communications for issue
- ability to develop and maintain positive internal and external relationships, frequently in politically sensitive environments
- ability to understand, probe and translate material produced by technical specialists for communication to clients
- ability to manage work within an identified budget
- experience and understanding of working as part of a progressive team.
- experience of client facing needs
- able to manage and mentor colleagues across multiple projects
- competent in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Cloud software
- experience of some or all of the following would also be very useful: ArcGIS, AutoCAD Civils 3D, Rhino or Revit.
- relevant combination of degrees, experience, and charterships/accreditations
- sharp commercial acumen and ability
- entrepreneurial spirit
- confident in representing the company at networking and speaking engagements, including pitches
- enjoyment in being part of, as well as leading, managing, motivating and training a successful and productive team
- thrives under pressure and maintains standards of work throughout
The job description reflects the core activities of the role and is not intended to be all-inclusive; other duties within the group/department may be required.
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV and sample portfolio, including current salary details, using the ‘apply’ link below.
No agencies, please.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment.