Tyréns UK is on the hunt for a director of masterplanning and design to join its team in London.
Tyréns UK is an interdisciplinary urbanism, placemaking, mobility and smart cities consultancy. We specialise in the delivery of high-quality solutions that promote sustainable development, urbanism and enhance connectivity.
Role and responsibilities
The director role involves leading the masterplanning and urban design offer for Tyréns UK, working alongside the managing director, and developing project solutions to respond to a wide range of circumstances including:
- greenfields and brownfields masterplanning
- private developments
- town centre/CBD regeneration strategies
- transport corridor regeneration plans
- government initiated planning projects
- public-private infrastructure led projects
- viability and funding assessments and strategies
- resilience strategies
- city-wide strategic development plans
- regeneration strategies
- public realm schemes
- masterplans in other sectors such as aviation or sports
- design guidelines and codes
We are looking for an experienced, strategically-minded and results-driven practitioner, with an accomplished international and UK background in the conceptualisation, communication, management and development of complex urban problems at a range of scales. The person should have a clear commitment to an integrated design philosophy and be capable of bringing together, in an innovative and efficient manner, a broad range of specialist contributors across business and disciplines. They should be capable of communicating complex design concepts simply and efficiently to multi-national clients and managing multiple projects and teams.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to lead client-facing engagement for a range of different clients, including private developers, institutional customers and public sector bodies. The director should be capable of winning work (with guidance based on level of experience), from client development, through bid strategy and execution, to project delivery and completion. In addition to design core skills, analytical capabilities including knowledge of urban design, masterplanning, transport planning, the real estate market, development policy, and current industry trends will be beneficial.
As a senior member of staff, the responsibilities shall include, but shall not be limited to the following:
- preparation and refinement of sector-specific sales and client marketing plans
- develop long-term working relationships and collaborative agreements with key clients
- identify key decision makers in each target client organisation and develop key relationships leading to the growth of a pipeline of new opportunities
- responsible for winning work through maximising additional/repeat/follow-on work from clients. Help drive innovation in service offerings
- technical leadership and client care on key active projects
- develop and lead on client presentations, tender interviews and practice to practice presentations
- development of a strong industry profile and act as a knowledge base for key clients
- the ability to clearly communicate technical and design concepts through reports and presentations
- assisting in research and development initiatives, knowledge dissemination and implementation
- prepare and assist in the drafting of technical brochures, presentations and literature to promote the practice
- overall project management including programme, quality control, technical management and delivery
- act as a senior representative of the practice in presenting the business to Clients, peers and at industry groups
- excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills, and the ability to develop and maintain mutually beneficial internal and external client and stakeholder relationships, frequently in politically sensitive environments
- ability to understand, probe and translate material produced by technical specialists for communication to clients
- ability to win new work independently
- ability to project manage work within an identified budget
- experience and understanding of working in a liberal and progressive equal opportunity team environment comprised of diverse individuals
- willingness and ability to be proactive in securing new work as part of the team and individually
- experience of client facing needs
- experience as project director of complex multi-disciplinary masterplanning and urban design projects
- able to manage and mentor team leaders of multiple projects
- ability to author reports, designs and communications for issue
- relevant combination of degrees, experience and charterships
- sharp commercial acumen and ability
- entrepreneurial spirit
- happy and comfortable in the public eye to represent the company at networking and speaking engagements, including pitches
- enjoyment in being part of, as well as leading, managing, motivating and training, a successful and productive team
- thrives in highly pressurised and challenging working environment
The job description reflects the core activities of the role and is not intended to be all-inclusive; other duties within the group/department may be required.
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV and sample portfolio, including current salary details, using the ‘apply’ link below.
No agencies, please.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment.