Tyréns UK is looking for an urban designer to join its team in London.
Tyréns UK is an interdisciplinary urbanism, placemaking, mobility and smart cities consultancy. We specialise in the delivery of high-quality solutions that promote sustainable development, urbanism and enhance connectivity.
Role and responsibilities
The responsibilities of the role shall include, but shall not be limited to the following:
- developing design solutions and options for masterplanning, urban design, public realm schemes and other infrastructure-led projects with urban design and masterplanning input
- generating design sketches, diagrams, renderings, models and graphics for design documents and presentation materials
- producing written content for design reports and other material
- working with the team to prepare technical and design responses to bids
- working and interacting with wider inter-disciplinary teams across the group and with project partners and sub-consultants
- contributing to the practice’s innovation, research and development initiatives
- providing internal and external client interface on projects; and
- supporting business development activity through outstanding client care and daily support to senior members of staff.
Applicants need to possess an excellent design and technical background in urban design and need to be good communicators and team workers whilst being able to contribute to the development of projects across a range of UK and international projects including new masterplan developments, regeneration strategies, public realm schemes, and digital districts, amongst others. They need to be enthusiastic, pro-active and be able to work on their own initiative with the support of the wider team and directors. They need to be open to change and continual improvement. The role will entail supporting presentations to clients alongside senior members of staff and directors.
Experience and skills
This role sits within a design team in an inter-disciplinary design business and the candidate must be a strong designer and communicator. The successful candidate will work closely with a team of senior designers, associates and directors.
The candidate’s previous experience should include all or at least some of the following:
- a postgraduate master’s degree in urban design with a background in architecture would be preferable; other backgrounds will be considered based on portfolio and experience
- experience of working on inter-disciplinary projects across multiple scales
- excellent knowledge of UK and European design standards
- experience of working on international projects would be a plus but is not mandatory; some MENA or Latin American experience would be desirable
- understanding of quality assurance procedures
- experience of bid preparation and other business development is a plus, or willingness to be trained
- excellent drawing and graphic skills, with the ability to produce diagrams, drawings, design reports and presentations
- excellent knowledge of 2D & 3D (AutoCAD) software
- excellent knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop & Illustrator)
- excellent knowledge of 3D and rendering software (SketchUp, V-Ray etc)
- additional skills in GIS, Grasshopper, Lumion and other visualisation and/or parametric tools are desirable
- excellent written and spoken communication in English
- strong conceptual design and software skills
- friendly and creative team player, open to sharing ideas
- work effectively under pressure, while remaining calm and professional at all times
- ability to manage time, workload, and be able to work within a team to multiple deadlines
- out of the box thinker and happy to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- willingness to undertake short travel for work within the UK, Europe and internationally
- an appreciation for digitalisation in the masterplanning and urban design process will be a plus
- proven commitment to high performance and dedicated to own learning and development
The job description reflects the core activities of the role and is not intended to be all-inclusive; other duties within the group/department may be required.
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV and sample portfolio, including current salary details, using the ‘apply’ link below.
No agencies, please.
The successful candidate must have permission to work in the UK by the start of their employment.