WeWork has an opportunity for a senior architect, PxWe to join its growing practice in New York.
WeWork is looking for an industry veteran that is tired of the frustrations and inefficiencies that plague the AEC industry. The misaligned incentives of design and build constituents have led to combative and wasteful projects for too long. Come help us build a better way.
About the role:
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is looking for a client facing project-based role with elevated individual responsibility, wide design freedom, the hunger to create amazing spaces and to revolutionise the definition of the AEC industry. The role will offer considerable opportunities for mentorship and leadership within the architecture team.
Key responsibilities include leading the envisioning and design phases of Powered by We projects to create the design scope of work, completion and oversight of the documentation and coordination deliverables, and following the project from inception through successful completion for Powered by We clients.
Powered by We is an exciting new product line where we package up all of our expertise from WeWork and bring it to our clients’ buildings and create custom design solutions tailored to their specific needs. As part of the project delivery management team, you will be the main point of contact for our clients and will collaborate with interior design, engineering, construction, logistics, operations and development teams, as well as other inter-departmental groups. Externally, you will provide direction to and collaborate with contracted consultants — MEP, structural, local architect of record, GCs and expeditor/s).
- be a key member of a client facing collaborative management team
- design, document, coordinate, and execute multiple simultaneous high-quality, high-profile, fully customised projects
- collaborate with internal and external teams
- lead the creation of a conceptual framework for each project through the envisioning process
- incorporate WeWork goals and brand ideals into projects
- communicate regularly to management and the project team with project updates such as the status of each project, potential issues on site, etc.
- make critical path decisions to ensure the overall success of the project, including being on time, on budget, and to an exceptional level of design quality
- provide mentorship, support, and direction to less experienced designers, including review and comment of their work
- provide project and staff related insights to the leadership and management groups to support workflow and design efficiency improvements
- proactively flag any issues that may arise during the entire project, from deal release to opening, take ownership of them, and work together with your team internally to resolve them
- be responsible for determining and organising functional requirements, providing programming, space planning, and code analysis
- produce all design and hand-off packages for a project utilising Revit, including programming, layout, AoR Hand-off and operations
- lead the coordination of all disciplines to produce a comprehensive and coordinated construction document set which meets the requirements of local building code, ADA, zoning, and any other applicable law
- be the main point of contact for external consultants
- lead internal and external team meetings, provide clear and concise actionable agendas
- BArch/MArch degree or equivalent required, licensed architect preferred
- eight+ years’ professional design and documentation experience in high-quality commercial or hospitality projects. Mixed-use residential, cultural, and institutional experience also will be considered
- three+ years’ managing client relationships as the main architectural point of contact, including leading client meetings throughout the design and construction process
- a commitment to deliver outstanding and high-quality design
- ambitious out-of-the-box thinker willing to reach beyond their comfort zone
- process oriented
- reliable, focused, and detail-oriented
- comprehensive and extensive knowledge of building materials and construction details
- knowledge of and experience working with local building code, ADA guidelines, zoning, and other applicable laws
- comprehensive knowledge and experience in envisioning, schematic design, design development, permitting and construction documentation
- ability to confidently review and markup the above documents
- demonstrable experience coordinating design documentation with external consultants
- understanding of project budgeting and scheduling and the ability to communicate and work closely with external consultants to ensure that project milestones are being met and deliverables are on-time and complete
- excellent oral, written and graphic communication skills
- lead project teams that include high profile/high visibility projects
- excellent decision-making skills and a highly resourceful problem solver
- ability to initiate and establish business relationships with professionals and officials of other organisations and companies
- self-directed with a high level of initiative and a ‘can do’ attitude, but open to feedback and a strong desire to learn
- excellent time management skills and experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- excellent organisational and ‘people’ skills
- proficient in the following programs: Revit, all things Google, Bluebeam Revu
- fluent in English
at Suter + Renner Architekten
Vice president of operations