Winch Design is hiring an architect or architectural designer to join its team in London.
Winch Design is a unique and special place to work. We are relentlessly creative, our ambition and curiosity drive us to create ‘firsts’ on land, sea and air. The studio environment is inspirational, collaborative and innovation driven. We work on the most exciting, diverse and unbelievably creative projects globally. No one day is the same and there’s always more to learn with new challenges to take on. We aim for limitless creativity and low ego within our studio culture. We take pride in our team-based environment, where every member is valued and plays a vital role in the design and delivery of our projects. As an employee-owned business we value the opinions and contributions made by each individual.
We are seeking highly motivated, experienced, architects/architectural designers to join our architecture team in London. As an architect/architectural designer, you will be central to overseeing architectural expression, project delivery and design strategies across our architecture projects from the scale of expansive buildings to bespoke details.
As we offer a full turn-key service the work is entirely bespoke and our projects exist outside of many typical constraints that allow us to foster a ‘sky’s the limit’ design mentality. We value curiosity in design through sketching, 2D design, 3D modelling, rendering, material curation, photography and model making. There is also the opportunity to work across all project stages, seeing a design through from ideation to onsite construction and interior fit out and delivery.
You will utilise details and craftsmanship that redefine high-end design, on projects that allow for unrestricted and exceptional levels of quality and variety. There will be opportunities to travel, working on site globally while engaging with a broad range of external consultants, artisans, craftspeople and suppliers. The role will be primarily office based with the option to work from home one day per week.
We are seeking design expertise, innovation, knowledge and a great attitude towards collaboration. The ideal candidate will be immensely passionate about design, with a keen eye for detail, exceptional organisational qualities and be enthusiastic in realising unprecedented projects at the pinnacle of the high-end bespoke design world.
Required skills and experience:
- previous experience within a high-end architectural practice is essential
- excellent knowledge of AutoCAD is essential
- good working knowledge of one or more of the following software desirable: Rhino 3D, Enscape, V-Ray, 3ds Max, Blender, Adobe Suite (specifically InDesign and Photoshop), SketchUp or similar
- hand drawing and sketching skills
- experience working simultaneously with multiple stakeholders and consultants
- knowledge of materials, sustainable practices and bespoke craftsmanship
- expertise in overseeing, reviewing and creating drawing packages
- experience working alongside interior, furniture and lighting designers, procurement specialists and suppliers
- good knowledge of joinery and detailing
- experience in a client facing capacity
- mood board creation
- advanced understanding of key structural principals and delivery pragmatics
- experience delivering projects on site, within a global context is desirable
- able to manage sensitive and confidential information
- practical knowledge of construction documentation, processes and procedures
- Part 3 qualification is desirable but consideration will be given to Part 2 qualified who can demonstrate an equal level of experience and skills
Qualities and expectations for this role:
- calm in nature, self-motivated and able to take responsibility
- self-initiative to solve challenges, refine processes and drive improvements
- actively support our design process, showing leadership and initiative as a great communicator, with willingness to share design expertise while respecting the experience and skills of the wider team
- an opportunity to play a part within an incredibly creative and dynamic design studio
- be excited to advance your own learning and development
- desire to explore, test and refine appropriate new techniques, learning from projects and the team
- be a team player, with the drive, determination and ability to extend your own design skillset
- detail-oriented problem solver
- proactive and forward thinker
Remuneration and benefits:
- competitive salary available depending on level of experience
- hours 9:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday (35 hour week)
- 24 days annual leave per annum
- lunch will be provided four days per week
- on completion of a successful probation period: private health insurance
- life insurance
- personal travel insurance
- discretionary bonus scheme
- company pension scheme
- season ticket loan
- ride to work scheme
- electric car hire scheme
- interview process and timeline
Interviews will be a minimum of two stages and a mix of Teams and in person at the studio in SW14. Interviews to commence as soon as possible.
Please apply via the apply for job button below.