YourStudio is seeking a design director to join the team in Melbourne, Australia.
This role is on a 12-month full-time contract to cover parental leave.
We are YourStudio, a next-gen retail experience design agency on a mission to inspire human connection.
We work in collaboration with in-house teams to inspire innovation thinking, turning first-hand consumer insights into world class retail experiences and environments. Based in London, Amsterdam, New York and Melbourne, we specialise in digital innovation, strategy, branding and environment design.
We thrive on staying ahead of the curve in the rapidly evolving global consumer landscape and leveraging this knowledge to create awe-inspiring and precedent-setting experiences. We never stop trying to evolve our ways of working and culture. We are obsessed by exploring ‘what’s next’ and define strategies that connect people to some of the world’s biggest brands, including Nike, Mars, IKEA and Google.
This is an exciting leadership role, working in a fast-paced environment with some of the world’s best brands and collaborating with all of our global studios.
The role involves leading a multi-disciplinary teams to translate insights and strategy into retail environments, store experiences and pop-ups. Working with some of the world’s leading retail brands and new-to-market brands, you’ll be leading across more than one project at a time, running projects from end to end as well as be responsible for driving the project creatively with a strong commercial awareness.
This role is built on a sharp understanding of what’s happening in the global landscape and being able to translate this into meaningful insights that found design strategies for our clients.
The projects range from designing flagship store experiences and new concepts through to more temporary pop-ups or brand experiences, ensuring that the strategy is brought to life and remains a red-thread throughout the project.
As a pivotal part of the local team, you’ll be responsible for building the studio reputation and relationships, inspiring leadership of project teams and delivering creative solutions to client challenges that exceed expectation.
You’ll bring positivity and professionalism to every brief and studio interaction, leading by example. This extends into exemplary design; we are driven to passionately work to create a better world through the reduction of waste, the use of sustainable and healthy materials and the adoption of any initiatives, united in our makers platform which this role carries forward in action.
With good feedback skills, you’ll be key at encouraging a supportive and coach-like mentality which is built on excellent communication to empower, inspire and enable others to reach their full potential and work as happy, driven and dynamic creatives.
This is a hybrid role from our Melbourne studio in Fitzroy, with a highly collaborative, talented and welcoming team.
- nine-plus years demonstrable experience in 3D retail environment design with a focus on bringing retail experiences to life with multi-disciplinary teams
- exceptional portfolio and industry experience demonstrating proven track record in leading mind-blowing experiences from inception through to delivery
- clearly demonstrated ability to work across disciplines and teams to connect different skillsets to deliver coherent and comprehensive projects
- clear knowledge and understanding of the full design and development process, integrated across physical and digital
- empathetic and generous leader, with experience of working with a team to help improve, upskill and guide team members to achieve their goals and continual improvement
- exceptional communication skills in every situation; at ease articulating complex narratives and responding on-the-fly to challenges
- adept managing multiple live projects, prioritising work flows, briefing and liaising with fellow designers, clients and stakeholders
- active engagement in wider industry dialogue and market trends
YourStudio is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage applications from all interested parties.
You may read this and feel you do not match the requirements 100 per cent but we encourage you to apply as we match individuals to the business. We are a creative business so if you feel you could express your experience in a different way then feel free to do so.
Accommodations are available, upon request, for all stages of the interview and employment process for those with a disability or medical need during any stage of the recruitment process.
YourStudio is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion across our studios, and eliminating unlawful discrimination. The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, and for each team member to feel respected and able to give their best.
- agile working from our Fitzroy studio, with flexible working arrangements (as required)
- holidays including 25 days and bank holidays, plus birthday off, wellness day and extra service allowance
- enhanced family policy
- travel and working abroad opportunities
Please apply via the apply for job button below.