Herman Miller is looking for a creative director to join its team in New York, USA.
You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as the creative director – specialty at Herman Miller and make both.
About this opportunity
As the creative director – specialty, you’ll serve as the creative leader to help conceptualize, develop, and implement new creative solutions and overall strategies for the Herman Miller specialty business, including Geiger, Herman Miller Collection, and Nemschoff. You will actively partner with internal teams, customers, dealers, and respective leadership to ensure that the creative vision, goals, and plans of the specialty business are well-informed, clearly defined, and appropriately guided. You’ll also serve as a member of the Specialty Brands Leadership Team.
What you’ll do:
You’ll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you…
- build and lead a team of direct and indirect internal and external resources to ensure that the vision, goals, and activities of the specialty businesses are well-informed, clearly defined, appropriately guided, and implemented
- champion efforts to achieve cohesiveness and consistency in creative work across product design and development, communications and customer experience to ensure the effective application of brand-wide standards and corporate creative strategy
- collaborate with internal and external business partners to develop business and creative strategies that support the broader business goals
- provide creative direction while working collaboratively within each of the business unit teams, which comprises aiding in new product opportunities and acquisitions; participating in designer selection; and influencing product development, experience design, marketing, and advertising
- work collaboratively with general management and the research, design and development (RD&D), commercial leadership, sales, marketing and merchandising teams to participate in defining long-term product strategy and priorities for the business unit, as well as gathering input from regions, verticals, and distributors to help prioritize development queue in the category
- author and/or approve, in collaboration with RD&D and product managers, product design briefs that reflect the needs of the business and clarify the design problem to design partners while getting approval from the business unit lead before acting
- influence the scope and prioritization of all sponsored product design and development projects
- participate in annual design and development budgets for the businesses to be aligned on total spend
- author and/or review creative briefs for brand design, communications, and marketing initiatives. You will act as the link between the business and brand design and/or external design partners via creative reviews
- present creative work internally to the Herman Miller business teams and assume responsibility for the delivery of high performing, brand-aligned communications and experiences
- serve as a contributing editor of evolving product design concepts at key design review milestones
- research emerging product, technology, and material trends in concurrency with RD&D, incorporate this knowledge into product planning, and review along with the business unit product management teams
- maintain knowledge of global product design talent, both established and emerging, and constantly seek potential design partners for the organization
- stay abreast of trends that broadly influence the contract, hospitality, education, healthcare and furnishings industries
- Participate in client presentations or relationships when needed
- Leverage your network to enhance the company’s relationships and industry presence with leading companies and prospects
- Participate in the development of strategies for alliances and partnerships, identify appropriate targets, and pursue relationships as appropriate, participating in the integration of any organizations and business that may arise
- perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives
Sound like you?
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have…
- a Bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, design or a closely related field. A Master’s degree in business, operations, engineering or design is preferred
- ten years of successful creative experience using innovation to drive product/category growth
- three years of experience with team management and the successful leadership of cross-functional teams
- in-depth experience in design management, a significant understanding of the furnishings industry, and a meaningful history with print, digital, and experience design
- demonstrated entrepreneurial behavior and corporate finesse. You’ll also need a drive to win, a sense of urgency, and the ability to be a risk taker
- successful experience managing multiple functions, deep functional competence in one or more areas, and significant profit and loss (P&L) responsibility
- proven competencies that include strong business acumen; systemic thinking; excellent analytical and data-driven decision making skills; organization, planning, and coaching skills; and the ability to be resourceful and timely in completing work assignments
- a demonstrated ability to lead direct and indirect teams in strategic and tactical efforts beyond your immediate span of control and across multiple disciplines, levels, and geographies. You’ll also need a proven ability to influence, solve problems, and work with all levels in the organization, including executive leadership
- exceptionally strong relationship and consensus building skills in a complex matrix environment with cross-functional teams. You’ll also need to be highly adept at leading through influence, setting direction, and delivering results
- outstanding concise, persuasive, and open communication skills. You will need a proven capability to present complex concepts in a concise and understandable way to a variety of audiences in a way that yields long-term relationships and the ability to influence customers
- a demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools currently being used in the Herman Miller office environment, including Microsoft Office and design and digital programs and platforms
- the ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations
Who we are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
To apply please click here.