Feilden Fowles Architects is currently looking for a studio manager to assist its London team.
Position: studio manager
Contract: maternity cover full-time – fixed term – option of part-time/job share may be considered
Salary: £34,000 – £40,000 depending on experience
Location: Waterloo, London UK.
Responsible to: directors
Advertised from: 19 September 2017
Applications by: 15 October 2017
Interview: 16-20 Oct 2017
Start date: 20 November 2017
Feilden Fowles is a young, award-winning architecture practice based in Waterloo, London. Our team of 14 deliver exceptional projects across sectors spanning education, arts and culture, masterplanning and heritage. We have a dynamic, energetic and inclusive culture based in our unique, RIBA award winning studio and garden.
We are looking for someone to join our team initially to cover our studio manager whilst they are on maternity leave. The role will be for a 12-14 month period beginning in mid-November with a two-month cross over period for training with our current studio manager, ensuring a smooth transition. There will be the intention that the successful applicant will stay on within the practice after the fixed term as the practice grows.
The role involves working closely with the directors, being an active member of the management team, working across all aspects of the business while ensuring administrative functions and day to day activities of the practice run smoothly. Diplomacy, an attention to detail and the ability to manage varied workload is key in this position.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- book keeping, monitoring the bank account, making payments and updating Quickbooks and instructing accountants on monthly payroll salary changes
- preparing management reports for the directors and presenting these in the monthly management meetings
- managing insurance renewals
- managing supplier costs and relationships
- managing day-to day office finances, liaising with accountant and monitoring annual budgets
- supporting with the calculation of project fees, resource and issuing invoices according to project programme
- preparing VAT returns, filing online and payments
- responsible for the teams wellbeing, managing staff reviews, timesheets, recruitment from advertising through to new staff inductions
- liaise with pension provider regarding staff pensions and co-ordinate pension payments
- monitoring sickness, absence and holidays
- filing and monitoring applicants CV’s and portfolios
- responsible for contractual compliance with all legal requirements, data protection act, advising on policies and best practice
- trained first aider, keeping the accident book and medical records up to date
- managing day-to-day studio operations; acting as the first point of contact, answering telephone calls, enquiries, new business enquiries and welcoming visitors
- responsible for the H&S and fire safety of the studio
- liaising with all suppliers and managing contracts e.g. cleaners, maintenance, etc, PAT testing etc.
- responsible for procurement and maintenance of all studio related items. Develop and maintain relationships with suppliers
- monitor and assist with adhering to the practices quality management system
- supporting the IT manager with the management of the IT initiatives and liaising with the IT support company
- supporting the team on a ad hoc basis with project co-ordination, submissions and pitches
- support the planning and organising of social activites such as summer and Christmas parties, office events, lectures etc.
- ensuring the studio and walled garden are well maintained, clear and tidy
The successful candidate will have:
- at least three to five years’ experience in an architectural or design environment
- excellent prioritisation and time management skills coupled with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- highly organised and highly motivated with an ability to take initiative and work as part of a team
- excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- proactive with development and improvements in the studio
- experience or an understanding of ISO 9001 accreditation requirements/ process
- an interest in architecture and design and commitment to the work of Feilden Fowles
- knowledge of general HR policies and procedures
- knowledge of Quickbooks system or a similar accounting software
- IT literacy in MS Office – Excel, Word, and Adobe InDesign preferably on Mac
Feilden Fowles is an equal opportunities employer.
This is a great opportunity to join the FF team. If you feel you have the relevant experience to fit this position, we would love to hear from you.
To apply for the role as studio manager, please send your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org detailing how you meet the requirements of the role and providing a suitable reference for us to contact prior to your interview.
Please submit your application by Sunday 15 October 2017. Interviews will be held in the week beginning Monday 16 October 2017.
No agencies please.