Nike is looking for an algorithm designer 2 to join its team in Portland, USA.
Location: Beaverton, OR, United States
Department: NXT digital studio
The NXT digital studio (NDS) provides a competitive advantage to our creation teams by fuelling product innovation and craft. To accomplish this, we leverage the power of modern technologies, skillsets and services. We are seeking an algorithm designer 2 who has a strong expertise in 2D and 3D product design and computational design software. Experience in apparel or footwear product design is a benefit.
As our algorithm designer 2, you will work with the apparel and footwear design teams to identify new computational capabilities, identify and build new design algorithms, design products and streamline product design, development and manufacturing. You’ll leverage your expertise of computational design to drive research into new algorithms to build disruptive performance structures and contribute to the premium design of products. You will have a solid understanding of computational design best practices. You also are familiar with advanced digital skills and understand how to integrate them with apparel and footwear product creation best practices.
In your portfolio of work, you should have clear examples of how you’ve worked on key product lines with complex design requirements. You’ll collaborate with multidisciplinary teams and participate in the creation of best-in-class product. You also will have a strong technology expertise and will partner with innovation, design, and computational designers to build the suite of tools and platform.
- research, build and pilot new algorithms to generate product
performance structures and aesthetics
- create design tools that enable computational designers and product
designers to apply algorithms to designs
- partner with the program leads to create and build a tools and
- develop and manage a computational design research agenda
- multitask and concurrently execute on several products
- partner on the product lifecycle process with the design, development
and engineering organisations
- participate on multiple interdisciplinary project teams
- clearly communicate project status and manage priorities
- ensure all deliverables are of the highest quality
- work in an independent fashion, solve problems, make decisions,
and communicate effectively in difficult situations
- excellent oral and written communication skills including meeting
facilitation and making persuasive presentations
Requirements for the position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, industrial design or computer
science. Masters in architecture, industrial design or computer science
- in lieu of degree, eight+ years of work experience in a similar role
- prefer eight+ years experience in computational design
- several examples of successfully launched products that demonstrate
complex product design solutions
- at least eight+ years’ experience using 2D and 3D design software
- at least five+ years in mathematics
- prefer three+ years’ experience in apparel or footwear product design
- prefer three+ years’ experience with 3D printing solutions and machine/material offering
- demonstrate ability to develop simple and elegant solutions to complex
- proven ability to collaborate as part of a multidisciplinary team;
communicate and influence throughout organisations
- must be organised, able to act independently, and able to switch rapidly
between different projects in a fast-paced environment
- can work with grace under pressure
- expert knowledge of computational thinking, algorithms and architecture
- expert skills with Rhino, Grasshopper and Adobe Creative Suite
- intermediate skills with Maya, Mudbox, Zbrush and T-Splines
- expert skills with C++, Java, Python and/or VB
We are interested in learning more about you and appreciate you taking the time to apply online.
Nike, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) that strives to create a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture.
Primary location: US-OR-Portland
Travel: yes, 15% of the time
Recruiter: Chris Hopkins
Drug screen required: no
Band (do not edit): u
Background check required: yes
Non-compete required: yes
Relocation available: yes
Please submit your applications, using the ‘apply’ link below.