Arup is seeking a senior urban designer to join its office in Bristol, UK.
As part of planned growth of Arup’s urban design team in the UK west, we are currently looking to recruit a senior urban designer into our Bristol or Cardiff placemaking team. Arup placemaking is a team of urban designers, town planners, landscape architects, and sustainability experts adopting an integrated placemaking approach. Our work is based on an understanding of environmental, transport, planning and economic factors. We shape places through engagement with decision-makers, stakeholder organisations and the involvement of local communities.
Our projects range from city masterplans, strategic place-making of neighbourhoods and town centres to large residential developments. We support other disciplines involved in projects which are located throughout the South West, Northern Ireland, South Wales and the Midlands.
We strive to be the best in our field and our approach to placemaking is guided by the principles of creating:
- well-designed places which support healthy lifestyles and wellbeing, integrate green infrastructure and opportunities for smart city technology, and improve the human experience of, and interaction with, urban areas and infrastructure systems
- resilient places of enduring quality that meet the needs and aspirations of our clients and future generations
- you will play a senior design role within the urban design team and have the opportunity to contribute to the development of exciting urban masterplanning projects throughout the UK, and overseas
- you will work with architects, urban designers and landscape architects under the guidance of the placemaking leadership as part of an integrated team
- you will have an architectural background with RIBA Part 2 or equivalent qualification, and at least five years’ professional experience working in a high-quality design-focused practice. An urban design masters is an additional advantage
- excellent drawing and presentation skills, including 2D and 3D software (AutoCAD, Rhino, Grasshopper, SketchUp) and outstanding graphics (hand drawn and Adobe Creative Suite)
- an ability to present concepts and design narratives in a concise and compelling way, both verbally and through drawn image
- you should have a keen interest in global urban agendas and be able to present your work in this context
Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to a range of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle – we recognise it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you’re interested in flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time, please let us know when you apply, and we’ll discuss how this could work in your role.
Join us in shaping a better world.
Reward and benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK healthcare plan (private medical insurance), life assurance, accident insurance, and income protection (long-term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related flexible benefits fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of choice benefits to help you with your work/life balance.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the global profit share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two profit share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance
Closing date for applications: 1 December