BIG is looking for a New York-based model shop manager.
We are seeking a model shop manager to manage BIG NYC’s model shop including all aspects of the operation of tools, and machinery with a high degree of expertise, as well as our model shop expansion. Additionally, you will work with project teams to build models and teach fabrication techniques to promote a positive culture of model making at BIG NYC. The BIG NYC office is over 200 people and growing, with offices in London and our headquarters in Copenhagen.
In general, your responsibilities will include though may not be limited to:
- leading model making culture at BIG NYC; encouraging and guiding others to engage with BIG’s exploratory and investigative model making philosophy
- manage model making to fabricate both study and presentation models
- manage and/or perform all machine repair and maintenance including, but not limited to laser cutters, air filters, 3D printer, and woodworking tools
- managing all shop related material purchasing and accounting
- manage general budget for the model shop as well as project-specific model and mock-up budgets
- ensuring the safety of model shop users and training new employees in the model shop’s facilities, safety procedures, and organisation
We seek a person who:
- is organised, structured and both big-picture-savvy and detail-oriented
- is capable of multi-tasking (often varying in scale and scope)
- candidate can demonstrate an enthusiasm for experimentation and creative problem solving
- has self-confidence and persistence, and is confident with decision making
- can demonstrate an attention to detail, and an appreciation for production quality
- is proactive and who also completes tasks with a sense of urgency
- has excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- must be able to supervise staff and communicate directions and expectations effectively, and create and deliver effective training presentations
- has experience with woodworking and carpentry, as well as general knowledge and experience in metal, plastics, composite fabrication
- knowledge of joinery, adhesives, paints, finishes, building materials, and fasteners
- strong digital and traditional fabrication skills; working knowledge of professional-grade digital fabrication tools and enthusiasm for expanding knowledge
- proficiency in operating and maintaining workshop machinery to include, but not limited to table saw, band saw, drill press, belt and disc sander, paint spray booth, laser cutter, and CNC router
- fluent in Rhino and AutoCAD; knowledge of Grasshopper and Autodesk Revit preferred
- BA or vocational training, and five-eight years industry and management experience preferred
- valid US driver’s license required
- feels that no administrative task is too little
- is a good colleague and a team-player who wants to engage in BIG’s unique office culture
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Salary according to qualifications and experience.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Bjarke Ingels Group NYC LLC is committed to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified employees and applicants who are disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, other protected veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities.