David Chipperfield Architects is seeking a model-maker to join its practice in London.
David Chipperfield Architects is a leading international practice with offices in London, Berlin, Milan and Shanghai. We are looking for a talented and hands-on model-maker to join our busy London team. You will produce high-quality architectural models, of different building types and varying scales using a full variety of materials, tools and techniques. You will assist the model-making team in the running of our workshops as well as supporting project teams throughout an end-to-end model-making process.
- production of high-quality models, of various scales, using a variety of techniques and media
- model-drawing; translating architectural drawings into model drawings using MicroStation
- working individually and as part of a team to produce models from sketch all the way to final presentation
- oversight of team model production; from consulting with the teams, to offering support and helping when and as required
- day-to-day maintenance of workshop equipment, machinery and of general cleanliness of all work areas
- ordering and re-stocking tools and materials
- assisting with packing, moving and storing of the models
- carrying out inductions for new staff
- health and safety oversight
Skills and competencies:
- qualified to a degree level in relevant subject area or equivalent industry experience
- experience in model-making – including working with laser cutter, experience, hot wire cutter and all woodworking machinery
- experience in mould-making (and any experience working with jesmonite would be beneficial)
- good CAD skills – ability to read and produce architectural drawings using MicroStation
- knowledge of Rhino and SketchUp would be advantageous
- good work planning and organisation skills
- health and safety training (COSH) preferable
- talented designer or maker with passion for model making
- interest in traditional as well as new innovative model making techniques
- pro-active and self-reliant
- meticulous attention to detail
- comfortable working to tight deadlines
- patient and methodical
- excellent communication skills
To apply please submit a CV with concise motivation letter and portfolio, indicating your availability and salary expectation using the ‘apply’ link below.
Early applications are encouraged. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
David Chipperfield Architects is an equal opportunities employer and supports women in architecture.
No agencies please.