MVRDV is looking for a new head for its urban studio in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
In this role, you will collaborate with the partners responsible for strategy and business development, the managing director, the finance director, studio directors of the various markets and the founding partners. Your very diverse tasks will focus on three particular subjects: strategy and business development, projects and operations.
Strategy and business development
You represent MVRDV in contact with current and potential clients and enlarge and further develop MVRDV’s network of clients. You contribute to developing MVRDV’s characteristic urban design and research approach.
- setting up and maintaining a strong network with local partners with a focus on the Dutch market – public and private clients, municipalities, co-architects, advisors and engineers
- analyse the local markets, assist in marketing strategy making
- acquire direct commissions in close collaboration with BD
- input in the negotiation process for contracts and fees
- internal collaboration with market teams
- attend presentations and workshops with local stakeholders
You will be the first line of contact between MVRDV and the client.
- experience in leading large and complex projects in different scales and complexities
- manage client and design process and keep track of planning and budget
- coordination between the Rotterdam design team and the local stakeholders/advisors
- client meetings, workshops and site visits during planning (national and international)
- frequent contact with the design team on progress and results, ensuring excellent output to clients
- supervising the internal collaborations where urban knowledge is key
- write texts for the business plans and tenders
You will be responsible for general managerial matters of urban studio, including but not limited to finance, human resources and administration.
- assist in creating the business plan for urban studio and revising it annually, including targets and strategy
- monitor the finance situation of urban studio in close collaboration with the finance department
- recruitment and people-related activities, including reviews, development, trainings, social events and team spirit
- strong leadership and social skills (empathic, inspiring and encouraging)
- outspoken and able to present MVRDV-urbanism to the outside world
- good communicator, fluent in English and Dutch
- has experience in business development, marketing and strong project management skills
- strong writing skills
- has an MSc in urban design and/or is registered as an urban planner
- has extensive knowledge of and affinity with our work and philosophy and approach to architecture and urbanism
- has a minimum of ten years of proven experience in the Dutch market managing projects, clients and teams
- has academic experience
What we offer
Beyond the opportunity to work within a globally and ambitious company, here are a few benefits that we offer:
- competitive salary, considering your skills and personal value for the organisation, determined by the collective agreement for staff employed in architecture Architecten CAO
- personal development budget
- travel allowance for your home-office commutes
- automatically take part of the Architects Pension scheme when working for MVRDV
- 30 paid holiday days based on a fulltime employment of 40 working hours per week
- regular excursions, parties and corporate activities such as sports
- healthy lunch in our office
- we contribute to your sports subscription at OneFit
- a great office location in the centre of Rotterdam near the train station
This is us
MVRDV is a global operating firm with a team of more than 300 employees, dedicated to innovative architecture and urban design. Founded in 1993, the MVRDV headquarters are based in Rotterdam with subsidiaries in Shanghai, Berlin, Paris and New York.
We’d love for you to join us!
MVRDV is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to treat all employees and applicants equally, regardless of gender or marital status, colour, nationality or ethnic origin, religion or religious belief, sexual orientation, disability or age.
Please reach out to us if you are interested after reading this vacancy and you want to learn more about this position, the team or our organisation. Click here to apply and/or leave your contact details if you want to explore the potential opportunities!