Luum is on the hunt for a product design engineer to join its team in London.
Luum is a London-based lighting studio dedicated to the design, manufacture and delivery of spectacular light installations for interiors around the world. We have an enviable client list who commission us to develop innovative and technically complex lighting projects in a range of sectors including commercial, residential and hospitality.
We have a unique opportunity for a talented product designer to join our small but highly motivated team and play a significant role in our growth. The role offers an exciting opportunity to work on a wide range of bold and contemporary lighting projects that aim to bring wonder, excitement and energy to interior spaces.
Reporting to the creative director, you will be responsible for delivering custom projects from our in-house collection, taking them from initial concept through to manufacture and final install. You will be expected to manage all parts of the process, including 3D CAD design, commissioning suppliers, prototyping parts, product assembly and assisting with onsite installation both in the UK and abroad.
The ideal candidate would come from a background of lighting and have proven experience in delivering projects in a highly organised manner. We are looking for enthusiastic and reliable candidates with good mechanical aptitude and an eye for detail.
- be responsible for taking projects from initial concept through to final install, ensuring they are safe, of high quality, manufacturable, and exceed our clients expectations
- manage project schedules, ensuring they are delivered on time and on budget
- model parts and assemblies in Solidworks, producing 2D drawings for manufacture
- commission and liaise with suppliers, developing a good working relationships
- continually improve production processes, solve design and production issues and develop working solutions, updating parts as necessary
- assemble projects in the studio, including QC/testing and packing for export
- build prototypes for new concepts and bespoke projects
- develop designs proposals and prepare tender and quotation documents
To do all this we think that you are going to need the following skills and experience:
- degree in industrial/product design, or equivalent
- you should have a minimum of two years’ experience as a product designer, preferably in the field of lighting
- be highly organised and a natural project manager with meticulous attention to detail
- be highly proficient in Solidworks and Adobe. Other CAD packages advantageous
- you should have experience with supplier management
- be mechanically minded, with strong workshop skills and enjoy being hands-on with products
- have a good ability to work on multiple projects and effectively prioritise tasks
- have great communication skills and enjoy working as part of a team
- Strive for continuous improvement
Based in our studio near Peckham we can offer a dynamic and fast paced working environment with challenging projects and an ambitious team. The salary will depend on your skills and experience. We offer a pension scheme and 25 days holiday + statutory with an extra days holiday for every two years worked.
How to apply
Please submit, along with your availability, an explanation of why you would be right for the job and your salary expectations by clicking the ‘apply’ button below. Please include a portfolio and CV.
The role will be based at our studio in London but may require travel in the UK and abroad.