The Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government is recruiting for a new head of architecture in London.
We are looking for an experienced architectural practitioner to advise the department on architectural policy and practice. A critical element of this role will be to establish the department as a centre of knowledge and advice on design matters to ensure that across government programmes the importance of design outcomes is recognised and implemented. In addition you will champion the importance of good design outcomes to the construction industry, architectural practices, house builders and planning departments, to raise the design standards of new housing schemes, thereby influencing communities’ attitudes to new development.
You will need to be an energetic leader and demonstrate credible expertise on design matters, able to work as a sole point of expertise but working collaboratively across the department and externally.
The post will report directly to the chief planner, but be primarily affiliated to the department’s design team. As an independent expert in design matters the post will also work to the wider delivery and policy agenda of the department.
- to give architectural advice on design to the department and other government departments in line with the agreed objectives of ministers
- to work with and advise the design team on delivering an action plan to raise awareness of the importance of good design standards in new housing developments
- bringing commercial and/or consultancy experience to assist in the formulation of of policy and guidance, with a view to delivering on the government’s commitment to improve the design quality of housing with better engagement with communities
- meeting and advising other teams engaged in estates regeneration and the provision of new settlements, including approaches to master planning. This will involve meeting a range of stakeholders, travelling to regions and speaking at events and workshops
- you will be a qualified architect with a proven track record of delivering quality housing schemes
- excellent presentation skills
- strong political awareness and a proven ability to work with a range of stakeholders
- experience of working with communities
- project management skills
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- communicating and influencing
- seeing the big picture
- working together
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Are you a qualified architect?