OBRA Architects has an opportunity for a project architect to join its office in New York.
OBRA Architects is seeking a professional committed to architectural quality able to take on key responsibilities within a growing practice and an intense office environment. The candidate should be able to move fluently between design and construction phases and handle multiple projects of various size and complexity. Strong detailing abilities an absolute requirement, please include specific descriptions of detailing experience and construction experience in your submitted materials. Understanding of international building code and construction standards and minimum 10 years experience with construction and project management required. We are seeking a person with resilience, ambition, optimism and a good sense of humor.
Knowledge and experience with BIM and Virtual Design and Construction VDC processes and organization a strong plus.
Candidates must have the following requirements:
- five-year bachelors or masters degree in architecture/equivalent
- minimum 10 years+ of proven experience in project management, detail and design development, construction documents, construction administration, site supervision
- excellent AutoCAD and Adobe Suite skills
- understanding of client communications, contract documentation, project scheduling, team leadership, building design, technical detailing, consultant coordination, construction administration
- knowledge of NY NJ codes, IBC
- fluency in written and spoken English – any additional language is a plus
- self-motivated and self-disciplined in an intense collaborative studio environment, ability to organize, encourage and lead project teams
- licensed architect
- understanding of OBRA’s work and capability to execute its design intentions through various stages to completion
Obra Architects was founded by Pablo Castro and Jennifer Lee in the year 2000 in New York City. The year 2013 marked the inception of their third outpost in Seoul, following the opening of their Beijing office in 2011. Current work includes projects in New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, Italy, Argentina, and Korea.
Obra is the 2006 winner of the PS1 MoMA Young Architects Program, 2005 Emerging Voices at the Architectural League of New York, and has produced a body of award-winning projects recognized by the American Institute of Architects, the Chicago Athenaeum American Architecture Awards, and the Kim Swoo Geun Preview Prize in Seoul, Korea, among others. The work of Obra has been exhibited widely, at venues including the 2016 and 2014 International Architecture Biennale in Venice, Italy, The Museum of Modern Art, PS1 Contemporary Art Center, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, the National Art Museum of China, the Deutsches Architekturmuseum, and Rhode Island School of Design. Their second monograph entitled Obra Architects Logic: Selected Projects, 2003 – 2016, which traces the trajectories of nine selected architectural projects, was recently released by Architectural Publisher B, Copenhagen.
Please email a letter of interest and resume, along with work samples – under 10MB in size total to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to be considered for this position, please include “PROJECT ARCHITECT OBRA” in the subject heading of your email. No telephone calls please.