Shenzhen International School of Design is hiring a professor/associate professor/assistant professor to join its team in Shenzhen, China.
Job Opportunities at Shenzhen International School of Design, Harbin Institute of Technology (SISD)
Shenzhen International School of Design, Harbin Institute of Technology (SISD) is a unique institution founded by Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT) and the Zurich University of the Arts (ZHdK), in collaboration with the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC), and the Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design (ABK).
Located in the vibrant city of Shenzhen, China, SISD builds on the regional and resource advantages of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area. We aim to become a design school at the forefront of the international academic frontier with cutting-edge curriculum, combining the integration of art and technology with design and innovation. We link international education with social, cultural, ecological, and technological development, and advocate for inclusivity, diversity, and innovation.
With this mission, SISD provides three undergraduate programs in architecture, industrial design and digital media arts as well as three master programs in architecture, urban and rural planning and design. Four departments namely the department of architecture, of industrial design, of visual media and of urban and rural planning will run the BA and MA programmes, while four research centres will be established to develop an ambitious research agenda with industrial cooperation and support the education programmes.
We are currently seeking outstanding candidates to join the four departments as professor, associate professor and assistant professor, and to serve as the faculties in charge of the four departments, the BA and MA foundation courses, the core course, and the lecturers.
If you are passionate about the opportunities presented by SISD and are prepared to help shape the future of design and architecture education, please submit your application.
We welcome all qualified candidates to apply for our open faculty positions at SISD!
- application form for employment (download it from SISD official website)
- portfolio (no more than 20 samples, no more than 10MB)
Please note that SISD reserves the right to recruit for the position until a suitable candidate is selected or an offer of admission is extended.
We appreciate your interest in joining our faculty at SISD and look forward to reviewing your application materials. Should your application be shortlisted, we will contact you to arrange an interview.
The timeline for our recruitment process is as follows:
- candidate submits application materials – the deadline is 10 June 2023
- review the materials – before 20 June 2023
- the first round of interview – before 25 June 2023
- basic ability assessment of teaching and scientific research – before 30 June 2023
- 5he second round of interviews – before 15 July 2023
- issue the offer – before 20 July 2023
Qualifications and responsibilities
We are currently seeking 10 professors to fill the following positions:
- person in charge of the architecture department
- Person in charge of the industrial design department
- person in charge of the visual media department
- person in charge of the urban planning department
- person in charge of the the BA foundation courses
- person in charge of the the MA foundation courses
- person in charge of core course (respectively to teach in architecture, industrial design, visual media and urban planning)
For more detailed information about assistant professors and associate professors, please refer to http://sisd.hit.edu.cn/2023/0509/c14347a306142/page.htm
Can be negotiated based on the candidate’s qualifications and relevant experience, ranging from 560,000 RMB to 1,500,000 RMB per year.
- the candidates should generally have a doctoral degree (special consideration will be given to those with outstanding achievements in design, teaching and research)
- the candidates should have generally obtained full-time teaching and research positions in universities, research institutions and R&D department in enterprise at home and abroad
- the candidates should have carried out original research and achieved high-level academic achievements, and have the ability or potential to lead the development of their field
- the candidates should be under the age of 50 generally (special consideration will be given to those with outstanding achievements in design, teaching and research).
- teaching: be responsible for the development of the academic department majors, teaching courses related to this discipline each academic year, delivering lectures on cutting-edge areas of the discipline, and developing high-level graduate students
- discipline development: actively participate in the development of the discipline, staying up-to-date with the latest academic trends and development directions. Participate in the formulation of the discipline development plan, and lead the young academic core members of the discipline in carrying out discipline development work
- team building: participate in the development of the innovative team of the discipline, forming a relatively stable academic team. Also guide and develop young teaching and research core members of the discipline and organise interdisciplinary academic teams for joint research. Additionally, actively recommend outstanding talents at home and abroad
- scientific research: Host international/national major (key) scientific research projects or provincial major (key) scientific research projects, publish academic papers as the first author or corresponding author in top international journals in this discipline, achieve landmark or innovative results, and play a core role in the development of international/national and provincial or municipal key laboratories or research centres in this discipline
- international cooperation and academic exchange: Actively carry out international cooperation and academic exchange, host international cooperation projects with significant or certain impact, and host international academic conferences with significant or certain impact to expand the visibility and academic influence of SISD
- social service: participate in social service and make important contributions to the social, economic, and cultural development of the country and Shenzhen
- completing other tasks specified in the employment contract.
If you are interested in the position or have any further questions, please contact us.
Evelyn MA, Human Resources Officer of Shenzhen International School of Design
Employment benefits and terms
- office conditions: SISD provides basic office space
- benefits: benefits package includes provident fund, vacation, and social insurance (five insurances and one fund only for faculties of Chinese nationality)
- scientific research funding: determined according to the level of the employed position and discipline
- “Pengcheng Peacock” Special Appointment Award: the successful candidate may be eligible for the “Pengcheng Peacock” corresponding position, which includes an annual talent award of 240,000 to 600,000 RMB (the talent award is for a three-year cycle, and outstanding performers can receive up to three cycles), as well as corresponding talent services. The candidate can also be given priority consideration for various talent programs under the same conditions
- Shenzhen Municipal Research Funding: the successful candidate, who is appointed to the “Pengcheng Peacock” special appointment position, can apply for Shenzhen municipal research funding. The amount of funding ranges from 2 million to 5 million RMB, depending on the talent level and discipline
- living facilities: SISD’s Human Resources Office has dedicated personnel to provide services, ensuring the first-time implementation of work and living conditions. They can also assist in arranging for the children of talents to attend top-notch kindergartens, primary schools, and secondary schools in the city. The kindergartens available are Tao Yuan Kindergarten, and the primary and secondary schools are Harbin Institute of Technology (Shenzhen) Experimental School
- housing Benefits: faculties can rent housing whose rent is lower than the market price. Housing welfare and “Pengcheng Peacock” program can be applied for at the same time
- terms of employment: this position will be offered a fixed-term contract for five years. The candidate is expected to complete the onboarding process within six months of receiving the offer letter. The renewal of the contract beyond the initial term will be determined based on the performance evaluation and mutual agreement