Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) is hiring a senior project manager to join its team in London.
SOM, one of the most influential design firms in the world, is seeking innovative, creative, independent and critical thinkers who aspire to the highest standards of excellence. Join our collaborative design practice as a project manager for the opportunity to build a strong and thriving career.
Success at SOM means
Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the ﬁrm.
Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality and delivery of our work.
Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the ﬁrm.
Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
- leads the project teams through close collaboration with SOM partners to achieve design, technical and financial success
- prepares, with leadership input, quality agreements with clients including letters of intent, memoranda of understanding and professional service agreements
- executes additional service agreements and gains authorisation by phase
- collaborates with partners and senior team to prepare, issue and manage compliance plans to align project goals including budget, deliverables and schedules
- gains agreement with the senior team for labour allocation
- chairs weekly team meetings to address variances from the project plan
- administers internal control procedures with project accountant including billing, collections, completion percentage, expense management and year-end activities
- analyses project reports and proactively manages the profitability of a project
- participates actively in project design and technical discussions and decision making
- communicates actively through chairing weekly meetings, issuing meeting minutes, accurate project record keeping and sharing project information and correspondence
- assists in managing the owner/client relationship and expectations to allow SOM and team to work effectively, efficiently and collaboratively
- participates in new business and marketing efforts including responses to marketing requests and maintenance of partnerships
- initiates, monitors and maintains project schedules and work plans including schedules of meetings and presentations
- schedules and leads internal team weekly project meetings; develops the meeting agenda and project status updates
- initiates, monitors and maintains project plans and financial performance of projects
- initiates and maintains SOM-Client Services Agreement, SOM Sub-Consultant Agreements and requests for additional services
- monitors scope for contract compliance and potential additional services
- actively engages in project risk management through close collaboration with SOM partners and legal group
- manages time and workload of own work efforts and those of others to meet project task deadlines and commitments, with occasional interaction and direction from team leaders while guiding and teaching less experienced staff
- inspires and leads others by example, participates in staff mentoring and training, clearly defines team member expectations and responsibilities, empowers others and delegates where appropriate based on team members’ abilities and potential
- directly supervises staff and is committed to direct reports’ professional development
- develops and engages in talent strategy to find specialists, leaders and future professionals for the firm through resume review and interviews
- in collaboration with team members, develops a clear and consistent work plan to achieve the project budget, deliverables and schedule
- actively engages in internal and external professional development opportunities
- contributes to the implementation of sustainable strategies in all project assignments and the associated development of staff knowledge
- contributes to the development of standards, policies and procedures
- protects SOM from financial and legal risk
- professional degree in architecture
- professional licensure process is close to completion; LEED accreditation preferred
- minimum six years of experience or equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities
- demonstrated ability to successfully lead project teams and manage project schedule, budget and programme
- strong verbal and written communication skills
- general understanding of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED or other green building rating systems
- proﬁciency in Adobe Suite and Google Workspace
- familiarity with Deltek Vision, Salesforce is beneficial not essential
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm and our community while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM’s employment policy as well as additional information such as a privacy notice for California residents and how to apply offline.
Please apply via the apply for job button below.