The Collective is looking for an interior designer to join its London-based team.
About The Collective
We are The Collective, a community of creative thinkers with big ambitions and curious minds.
We’re a community-based membership company with properties and spaces across London. Launching the world’s largest and the UK’s only co-living building in May 2016, The Collective Old Oak, we aim to disrupt the property market in a big way.
Founded in 2010 by our CEO Reza Merchant while at university, we initially offered houseshares but soon saw an opportunity to truly add value to the lives of people like us.
Combining inspirational spaces with community and convenience, we’re dedicated to unlocking a better lifestyle for the ambitious and the curious through co-living, events, spaces, co-working and more.
We have built and currently manage a number of serviced living, co-living and co-working spaces in London but our ambitions are global. We aim to have a network across the globe, wherever we can add value to the lives of our members.
Working at The Collective means becoming part of the community – we’re a young, close-knit team who aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves and get our hands dirty, but we also enjoy our time together. We do things differently, so we’re looking for people who are courageous enough to challenge the status quo and break boundaries with us.
Being part of The Collective community means we care about your personal development and growth too, with a heavy focus on training and growing responsibilities within the business.
So if you want to join what GQ rated as the number two “Best Thing in the World Right Now” for 2016 (we’re coming for you next year, Drake) – join The Collective!
About the role:
- work on a wide range of Collective projects, defining and delivering a new residential typology – co-living
- work on projects in all stages of development, seeing them through full development cycle from concept to completion on site
- prepare design packages and presentation documents for all stages
- coordinate design proposal with internal and external teams, to sign off on exceptional yet practical and cost-effective solutions
- work to streamline procurement process, write specifications and source FF&E for existing properties and new projects
- style complete projects for photoshoots
We’re looking for someone who is experienced in managing a facility, managing a community, and keeping sales rolling into your space. You will essentially be running your own small business, so there’s not much you won’t be doing.
We are looking for:
- a people person: you have to love people. We can’t stress this enough. The community manager must engage their community with a smile and friendly demeanour every day. The ability to create a community requires a highly sociable and diplomatic person who is comfortable be assertive and friendly at the same time
- an experienced salesperson: It will be your responsibility to run your space and meet your financial sales goals every month
- a motivated problem solver: This job requires the ability to resolve many unique problems. We need a person who can resolve those issues without micromanagement or constant supervision
- three to five years’ experience, preferably gained from within the hotel industry
- people management experience
- an experienced eye for detail and quality and the strength of conviction to protect, manage and monitor the design throughout the build process
- technical knowledge and ability to produce high end, commercial interior fit out and joinery details
- an extensive understanding and current knowledge of materials, finishes, furniture and lighting design
- client-side experience, preferred but not essential
- exposure to international projects would be an advantage
- the ability to deal with a range of different personalities
- desire to work in an entrepreneurially led, fast moving environment
- the ability to work to agreed deadlines and budgets and be a good team player
- interior design or architecture degree
- Vectorworks, SketchUp modelling
- Adobe Suite Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
- driven, reliable, organised
- well-presented and confident
- open-minded with the ability to challenge convention
- a passion and energy for design
- the ability to get shit done