at Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design
Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design is looking for a rector to join its team in Budapest, Hungary.
Open international call for the position of rector who is directing the university’s three-tier (BA, MA, PhD/DLA) education, non-degree education, research and innovation and other creative and scientific activities.
A world-class university of art and design
Since its establishment 142 years ago, the Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design, the leading educational institution in its field in Hungary, has evolved its pedagogical programme and research activities to align with international standards of excellence.
Today, with a faculty numbering 250 experienced professionals and scholars and a student body of some 450 undergraduate, 300 graduate-level and 60 doctoral students, the university’s work interlaces fertile creative energies with a commitment to addressing social needs and taking advantage of the latest technological possibilities while being responsive to current economic and environmental conditions.
The mission of Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design (MOME) is to provide answers to the pressing challenges of the 21st century with design-based learning, research, and applied mastery.
As the maintainer of MOME, the foundation for Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design has invited the university to establish an interdisciplinary project for developing the training model of the future. The Future University project aims to create a new, future-oriented, more flexible strategic framework that meets the challenges of the 21st century and the needs of the new generations.
Rector candidates responding to the call will have the opportunity to learn about the concepts and formulate their own considerations. The new rector taking office in 2024 will play a definitive role in the development of the final framework and the multi-stage implementation of the future university model. With this responsibility, the new rector will be a key leader of one of the most important and dynamic eras in the history of the university.
Roles and responsibilities:
● directing the university’s three-tier (BA, MA, PhD/DLA) education, non-degree education, research and innovation, and other creative and scientific activities
● codeveloping and directing the implementation of the strategy as it relates to the university’s core activities, in line with the strategic principles and objectives identified by the foundation maintaining the university
● codeveloping and participating in the operation of the university’s quality assurance system, as well as in the development of performance, outcomes and impact evaluation, human resources, and development strategies and plans related to the university’s core activities
● codeveloping and managing the university’s domestic and international professional network
● codeveloping systems of academic, professional and wellbeing contributions to students and the faculty and cooperation with the CEO in operating these systems
● managing organisational units belonging to the rector’s office
● exercising employer’s rights as specified in the policies
● dynamic, future-oriented thinking;
● highly organised; proven skills in leadership: a strong sense of responsibility with a cooperative approach to leading, managing and supporting people
● general understanding of the complex nature of the ecological, geopolitical, economical, technological, and socio-cultural challenges of contemporary Europe and the Central and Eastern European region
● coherent concept on the future of higher education in general and the purpose of universities in the 21st century
● in-depth understanding of the art and design higher education space
● a holistic approach to knowledge; ability, curiosity, and aspiration to build bridges across different areas of art, design, science and enterprise
● exceptional communication skills, ability to represent the university in-house and in the public sphere
● perfect command of written and spoken English
● large and relevant international network
● minimum three years of executive experience in higher education;
● minimum ten years of experience as an educator or education organiser, with an experience in higher education teaching; a deep appreciation of teaching and administrative excellence
● academic degree (nostrified or recognised in Hungary, or agreeing to have their academic degree obtained abroad nostrified in Hungary)
● university professor title, or credible evidence of ongoing process for obtaining a university professor title (in the case of a title previously conferred by an institution outside Hungary, agreeing to participate in a process required for appointment to university professor at MOME)
● high level of integrity, fairness, and exceptional judgment
● a strong commitment to intellectual pluralism, freedom of thought, and the diversity of opinions
● no criminal record and confirmation of no debarment or disqualification from pursuing the required activities
● willingness to relocate (with family) to Budapest, Hungary
● experience with leading change processes in complex organisations
● experience in fundraising, especially within the European Union’s research and innovation funding framework
● proven track record of cross-border professional collaborations within Europe and/or the Central and Eastern European region
Applications should include the following:
● cover letter
● curriculum citae
● copies of degrees or certifications
● passport first data page
● contact information for two professional references
● certificate of no criminal record issued within the last three months, or foreign equivalent
● a draft of the envisaged rector’s programme, in line with the university’s public strategic objectives and efforts
Meeting of all eligibility criteria will be confirmed based on all required documents submitted by the submission deadline specified.
Please send your application and supporting documents to the following e-mail address with the title Application for rector: [email protected]
Please indicate that you are applying for the rector of MOME post in the subject line of your email.
Deadline for application submission: 31 May 2023
After the publication of the call for applications, those interested in applying will be offered the opportunity for personal on-site orientation visits by appointment with the University between 1 January and 30 April 2023.